7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 10:26 AM by Joe Proulx

Synchronizing Axis on Two Graphs in a Dashboard

Abhay Ranjan

Hi ,

A popular question and I have gone through some of the posts in the forum but I am not sure how do I get the axis of two different graphs displaying the same metric for two different industry synchronized. The drop-down 'Select a Metric" has four different metrices and I have used a sheet-selector to change the view depending on the metric selected.

In the view below you would see that the axis for the metric 'First Metric' is not synchronized.I am trying to use a reference band but it does not help much.

Any suggestions/approach to synchronize the axis would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Abhay

• 1. Re: Synchronizing Axis on Two Graphs in a Dashboard
          Mahfooj Khan

You can only synchronize the axis in case of dual axis when your both the measures are of same data types.

See the example

For dual axis you've to drag two measure in row shelf. Then right click on the highlighted measure and select dual axis

Once you select dual axis your bar chart will circle go to marks card and select bar chart for the respective measure.

Now If you see right axis is not aligned with left. Once you click on synchronize axis your graph will be aligned with left axis.

Final view. You can remove the header from right side just uncheck the show header.

This is for synchronize the axis

However as per your requirement. I thing fixed axis will be helpful.

If you see both(left:Sales and right: Profit) the charts have different axis ranges.

To I've to set the range of right chart as per left chart. If you right click on the axis of the Sales chart you'll get this view

Now make it fixed from automatic range and copy the fixed start and fixed end values and paste it in the Profit chart axis using edit axis. Like this

I hope this may help you. Let me know If you've any query.

Mahfooj

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Synchronizing Axis on Two Graphs in a Dashboard
            Abhay Ranjan

Thanks for your detailed response. The requirement is to have two different graphs and not create a dual-axis.Also these two graphs have different datasource .

Thanks,

Abhay

• 3. Re: Synchronizing Axis on Two Graphs in a Dashboard
              Mahfooj Khan

Hmm! That's fine I'm asking you to just fixed the axis. Is there any issue with fixing the axis?

If you've get any mismatch then you can share the screen shot of edit axis for both the charts

• 4. Re: Synchronizing Axis on Two Graphs in a Dashboard
                Abhay Ranjan

I got you.I am aware of the standard formatting techniques to sync the axis.Fixing the axis does not work in my case because the range of values for the same metric is different for different industry.Also there are non-standard formatting techniques which Jonathan Drummey has shared which is what I am trying to implement.But no success so far.

• 5. Re: Synchronizing Axis on Two Graphs in a Dashboard
                  Mahfooj Khan

Then I thing you should teach your interactors to treat both the chart individually.

• 6. Re: Synchronizing Axis on Two Graphs in a Dashboard
                    khalid norat

Do you have a sample workbook.

If you create 2 of the same dual axis graphs

sync the axis on each graph

On first one don't give a mark to axis one

on second one don't give a mark to axis 2

this should hopefully fix the problem

If you have a smaple workbook I can create this and send it back.

• 7. Re: Synchronizing Axis on Two Graphs in a Dashboard
                      Joe Proulx

I recently had this issue. Three charts, all individual charts, on the same dashboard. I wanted to be able to show the same axis.

The solution is to create a Fixed LOD calculation that you can then use as a reference line. Your calculation will have to be a number that will be the "max" of all the metrics shown. In your example, something like "MAX(first metric)+500" or something. For my chart below, I used the max of the left-most chart's measure and added some for padding.

Then on each of your charts, set a reference line to equal that specific calculation. Now here's the kicker: make the reference line invisible. Show no line, no shading, no label. The reference line will technically be there, but your user would have to hover over it to see anything.

Here's my result:

dashboard_axis.PNG

3 of 3 people found this helpful