3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 8:49 AM by Noor Hendrix

How to combine GA and Excel data with different time periods

Noor Hendrix

Hi all,

I have just set up content groupings in GA, which only work for data going forward. In my Tableau file I am trying to connect an excel file with historical data (which I pulled as a one off from GA) to the GA data connection I have set up starting a few days ago, when I started using content groupings.

Both data sets contain dimensions: ISO Week, Page Group (Content Group), Default Channel Grouping and Device Category.

I have GA set up as my primary data source, but when I drag ISO week to Columns, it only shows me the data from GA. I have played around with data relationships between GA and the excel file, and I thought maybe I need to create a calculated field combining the ISO Week's of both files?

I found this older thread How to combine extracts for different periods from Google Analytics? which only shows a temporary workaround for 2 extracts. I need the GA connection in this case to be automatically refreshed and I need a one time set up, not something I have to keep on doing.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Noor