4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 7:28 AM by Evangelina Mangino

Publishing packaged workbooks in the client's Tableau Server.  Data in mine.

Evangelina Mangino

I create and publish workbooks in my company's Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server.  These workbooks have data extracts and are scheduled to refresh regularly.  However, my clients may want to move the workbooks to theor servers to share.  How can I maintain the connection to the SQL views in my server? 

The clients upload new data from time to time into my database.  The SQL views are refreshed and automatically display the new data in my server, where the clients have a webpage with a license through my company.  If they want to transfer the workbooks to their Tableau server, how can I continue to provide the updates?

Please help!

• 1. Re: Publishing packaged workbooks in the client's Tableau Server.  Data in mine.
          Steve Burger

Good Morning Evangelina,

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. 

Does your client maintain their own Tableau Server in their own environment (i.e. behind their firewall?)?

So for the published content on your Tableau server, are the data source embedded in the workbooks, with both workbook and embedded datasource refreshing on a schedule as one entity?

Or, are they published as separate content (data sources standing alone) and the data source extract refreshed separate from the workbooks on a regular schedule?

In general, all content (workbook and data source) will need to be published in the same place. So, they'd need to publish a data source to their Tableau Server. But, if it's an extract, you could have it refresh from your SQL Server. (You would need to provide them access with a user id and a way to access it via a VPN or white-listing their IP).  If it's a pass-through connection to a live data source, again they'd only need access to the data source (SQL Server, Red Shift, etc..)

Honestly, we'd need more details before an more specific recommendation could be offered.

Thanks,

Steve Burger

Tableau Online Deployment Advisor

• 2. Re: Publishing packaged workbooks in the client's Tableau Server.  Data in mine.
            Evangelina Mangino

Steve –

Thanks for responding.  Because of your questions, I can tell you are the right person to talk to about this.

I work for a small company, ESP Solutions Group, that works primarily with State Department of Education (SEA) clients.  I developed a set of dashboards with data they must submit to the US Department of Education; so all 54 SEAs have the 200+ files for each school year in the same file format.  You can see samples of the dashboards in Tableau Public under EDFacts D&A.

Here is the business model we are following.

1.        They upload five years of data through our web app

2.       Data go to a data warehouse in our server

3.       SQL views are generated

4.       I link the SQL view from each state to the dashboards and publish them in their webpage in our Tableau server.  We provide them one Tableau Server license when they sign up to get the dashboards.  We make it clear to them that it is single user license and if they want more, we can sell them to them at the price we pay Tableau.  At this point we only have the minimum package of 25 licenses, which came out to be about $750 (if I’m not mistaken)

At this point we only have the data for two states but are expecting to get many more.  We tell them that they can view, interact, and download their packaged workbooks from the secure site I created for their state in our Tableau Server.  We tell them they can either send the packets to others and have them view them with Tableau Reader, or they can republish in their Tableau server if they have one.  Apparently SEAs are becoming interested in Tableau and are slowly adopting it.  However, most have only bought a couple of desktop licensees and are not sure what to do with them.  But, for the few who do have an Enterprise Tableau Server, we tell them they can publish the dashboards there.   And this is where my problem is.

Up to the point they download the packaged workbooks, they have the visualizations and the data up to that day.  When they upload new data, they will have to download and publish the new packages.  And, as I am rambling here, this may be the answer.  Since this is not “Live” data and updates occur only once a year – at different times for each dashboard -.  They should just down load and republish when they know they just submitted new data.  It may not be worth it to have a VPN arrangement set up for them.

Does this make sense?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Evangelina

Office:   512/879-5336

Cell:       512/791-1180

• 3. Re: Publishing packaged workbooks in the client's Tableau Server.  Data in mine.
              Steve Burger

Yes - this:

Since this is not “Live” data and updates occur only once a year – at different times for each dashboard -.  They should just down load and republish when they know they just submitted new data.  It may not be worth it to have a VPN arrangement set up for them.

Since they are downloading the packaged workbooks, they have all they need encapsulated in the file. Quite literally the TWBX files contains the workbook file (TWB) and the Tableau Data Extract File (TDE). When published this is what we refer to as an embedded data source.

Yes, if I'm understanding the scenario correctly, the most direct path is to download the packaged workbook from your site and republish to theirs. Download again, once a year, once the data is updated.

FWIW, I'm in the Tableau Austin office, and have formerly worked as a data analyst for a state education agency.  If you plan on attending our local Tableau User Group, let me know and we can discuss further.

Thanks,

Steve Burger

Tableau Online Deployment Advisor

• 4. Re: Publishing packaged workbooks in the client's Tableau Server.  Data in mine.
                Evangelina Mangino

Thank you Steve!

We have a lot in common, I am in Austin too, I will be at the User’s group, and I worked for a few months at TEA.

Let’s get together then or before or after one of the Austin TUG meetings.

Until then, take care.

Evangelina

Office:   512/879-5336

Cell:       512/791-1180