1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2016 2:40 PM by Sean Boon

A tale of One City Name and multiple states

Brian Green

All,

I've been looking for this answer as I'd be floored it had not already been asked and addressed, but here goes: I'm trying to get Tableau to differentiate that a single city name might belong in multiple states. For example, the city name of Carlsbad can be in at least CA or TX. This is a result of Tableau showing errors and me having to go through 'Edit Locations' to assign a specific location that are 'unrecognized'. I have moved city, state and zip to details and am unsure why that has not fixed the issue. Zip is a dimension and string data type. I'd resort to manually creating this relationship, but that level of detail doesn't seem to be available - hopefully I'm wrong. Thank you in advance for you assistance and time.

• 1. Re: A tale of One City Name and multiple states
          Sean Boon

Hi Brian,

The issue here is based on two things.  First, Tableau includes cities with the size of 10,000 or more.  Carlsbad, TX, for example has a population somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500, so we don't have it in the product currently.  The second issue is that in the  Edit Locations feature, unrecognized cities are grouped by their name.   So all instances of Carlsbad that are not recognized will get mapped to one state.

Right now, the best way to work-around this limitation is to geocode the cities outside of Tableau and then use that Lat/Long information on the map instead of the generated Lat and Long values.  You can also use the custom geocoding feature in a similar way. 

We are aware of this limitation.  It's something we are looking to address in the future.

Thanks,

Sean