1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 7:24 AM by Kristy McGee

Almost a nice viz

Toby Erkson

I read an article about DevOps where IT re-orients its operations around a two-speed IT architecture.  Here is a viz from it that I liked except for one thing, can you guess what it is?

My answer is in my next post.

• 1. Re: Almost a nice viz
          Toby Erkson

This is how I would have done it:

Naturally not in this crude form but you get the idea.

Thoughts about this viz, how would you do it, leave as-is or change it, etc.?

• 2. Re: Almost a nice viz
            Simon Runc

hi Toby,

...before scrolling down, that was exactly what I picked up too! (...lets go with 'great minds think a alike )...so much prefer the running total version

...I'd need to look how busy (/overly-colourful) it would be (in full) but I might even opt to colour code each activity, so that each activity could be seen in each activity (...btw I've only done the first 2...getting the 'tap on the shoulder' from the boss....looks like I've used up my 'messing about with paint.net' time today!! )

• 3. Re: Almost a nice viz
              Toby Erkson

Simon Runc wrote:

hi Toby,

...before scrolling down, that was exactly what I picked up too! (...lets go with 'great minds think a alike )...so much prefer the running total version...

but I might even opt to colour code each activity, so that each activity could be seen in each activity...

Ha, speaking of "great minds..." I was also thinking about a color-coded version as well but I thought it might look to pie-ish and Disciples of Few would rain admonishment upon me!

• 4. Re: Almost a nice viz
                Simon Runc

very true...I'll get my elephant-skin on and get ready for some trolling from Few!!!

joking aside, as it's a clock (which we have been 'primed' to read from an early age...unlike deciphering angles) it would probably be OK here...I did think that if they also wanted to show a different architecture that could be deployed in, say, 2 hours...this Viz wouldn't be very future proof!!! but had they been bars, it would loose it's (info-graphicy) impact

This article is also an interesting take on the 'Rules of Viz'...Shawn would approve

www.datavizmyths.com

I absolutely love (most) of the 'Information is Beautiful' visuals (Information is Beautiful and one of my faves Snake Oil Supplements | Information is Beautiful)) which, due to their aim of having a 'broad appeal' break many of the (so called) Viz rules.

....I guess it's all about context, audience and purpose.

• 5. Re: Almost a nice viz
                  Bill Lyons

I, too, appreciate the clock metaphor and the running total. Personally, I would tone-down the clock bezel with thinner lines, and expand the clock face.

However, regarding clocks, "which we have been 'primed' to read from an early age," that is not so true with the younger generation anymore. Just like cursive handwriting, and paper books, they consider dial-clocks outmoded and old fashioned. Something we'll need to consider more as we age.

• 6. Re: Almost a nice viz
                    Simon Runc

Very good point Bill...and showing my age here!! (and the associated bias')

I was digging out some of my old (very old!) toys the other day, to give to my 4 year old nephew...and came across my old friend the phone on wheels!

Needless to say, my smart-phone savvy-nephew didn't have a clue what it was! (or what it might be used for)

...next week the lucky lad is going to be introduced to my Technic Mk5

Image result for technic mk 5 decks

and the beautiful world of Vinyl!! (...I'm bracing myself to feel really really old!!)...."Yes this is how stone-age people used to listen to music before MP3 and Spotify"!!)

• 7. Re: Almost a nice viz
                      Toby Erkson

Actually, with my kids in school they still use analog time-keeping.  That is something that is still very prevalent and it makes it easier for children to visualize quarter- and half-time e.g. quarter 'til three, two thirty, etc.  Using digital time display is typically more difficult for them to compute and understand.  Seriously, if it's eight fifty then how many minutes until nine when there are 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, and 24 hours in a day, but the clock face only goes from 1 to 12?  Confusing stuff for beginners!  Explaining digital time isn't easy, we've been through it

As for the vinyls, they're easier to "scratch" than digital

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/03/04/serato_custom-cb9d8661abfc949d07427d28649224d04504d893-s6-c30.jpg

Plus audiophiles will enjoy the purity, the 'soul', better than digital.  Same goes for tube vs. transistor amplifiers.

• 8. Re: Almost a nice viz
                        Simon Runc

..Sweet picture...looks just like my set-up!! - even got the decks rotated 90 degrees (very old-skool!) although mine are to avoid 'clumsy-sleeve accidents'! rather than giving me space to exercise my mixing/scratching prowess!!

...Do I also spy 'The best of both worlds' Serrato/Traktor set up there?

• 9. Re: Almost a nice viz
                          Toby Erkson

The picture was just from a Bing image search, I don't have the street-cred for the real stuff   Back when I was single and my paycheck was just for me I did a lot of research on audio/video equipment so I have a good understanding about it and can really appreciate quality components.  I still have my Denon 5900 DVD player when HDMI first became publicly available (the unit does require an adaptor).

My wife just thinks I'm a geek

• 10. Re: Almost a nice viz
                            Shawn Wallwork

Years ago when Tracy Rodgers was Tracy Fitzgerald, and a guy named Dustin was trying to convince us that the change to Jive would be great, I suggested that they at least create an area called the 'Cafe' where we could all get to know each other. It didn't happen.

Toby, this type of exchange is exactly what I had in mind -- finding other shared interests.

Tableau Community might I suggest yet once again we need a 'Cafe' type place? Suggestion: Change the name of this space from 'Viz Talk' to 'Viz Cafe', and sub-title it: "Pull up a chair and let's talk data viz, or whatever!"

--Shawn

• 11. Re: Almost a nice viz
                              Toby Erkson

LOL...yup, I remember that

VizTalk is good, maybe have the Café as another area where anything goes?

• 12. Re: Almost a nice viz
                                Shawn Wallwork

I'm up for either. But starting the conversation about a Viz which eventually leads to turntable pix, might make it a wee bit more focused on data visualizations. Just a thought.

--Shawn

• 13. Re: Almost a nice viz
                                  Toby Erkson

True.

Or we just

But then the Branch could be a little confusing afterwards.

• 14. Re: Almost a nice viz
                                    Simon Runc

hi Shawn,

Yes I remember this...and think it would be a great addition. I (like Toby) think the Viz Talk should stay as is, as this provides a useful area to discuss viz related topics (I also find it a useful way to disseminate new blogs, both my own and others, I come across...as kettan has mentioned a few time we could probably do with a dedicated area for these...but that is a different discussion!). The cafe is more 'getting to know more about people' so would probably suit a more IM approach (in UI style, not the instant part!!). I have a habit (as this post aptly demonstrates!) of going off-topic (and conversations naturally branch/evolve) so a relevant/searchable title (to the discussion) is less important. We could use our new DM for these kind of discussions, but the UI (and the isolated invitees) doesn't lend itself to this kind of thing.

(all this btw...IMHO!)

1 2 Previous Next