2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 6:44 AM by jason.harmer

Highlight rules with indexed measure

jason.harmer

Has anyone worked with highlighting rules while using an index() function to rank?  So I'm using this formula to highlight all bars over the average: AVG([Amount])>=WINDOW_AVG(AVG([Amount])). This works just fine. However, the bars of data are individual names. I have an index() function to allow end users to see whatever range of names -  top 10, bottom 10, etc (based on amount). However if I change the index() filter (Which is a slider 1 to 100), the highlighting doesn't change - even though my average reference line does. However, if I manually right click on some of the bars and select "Exclude", my highlighting does change dynamically.  Any suggestions? I've attached a sample workbook (built with v9.2).

• 1. Re: Highlight rules with indexed measure
          Steve Burger

Jason,

Does this solve your problem.  If so,please mark the answer correct so that others can find it quickly, thanks!

I broke out the calculation of each name into an LOD fixed on name, LOD - Amt Per Name - {FIXED Name : SUM(Amount)}

and then broke out the AVG(Amount) in an LOD Fixed across all values, Window Average Amount - {FIXED : AVG(Amount)}

and put them together into 'Below Avg Flag' - [LOD - Amt Per Name]>=[Window Average Amount]

Looks like it does what you want, slide the index slider and it recalculate the flag for above and below average.

Steve Burger

Tableau Online Deployment Advisor

• 2. Re: Highlight rules with indexed measure
            jason.harmer

Thanks Steve! Sorry I've been out of the office on vacation. I'll give this a shot sometime this week. Thanks!