1 Reply Latest reply on May 9, 2016 3:12 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

12 month rolling period to the last (YTD to PYD)

Mohan Paul

Apologies fellow Tableau users, I know there are a lot of questions and answers to this query on Tableau but I've not been able to find a solution to my problem below. Things I've tried have not worked correctly and as a result I'm here.

I need to show one years worth of "GBP spend" comparing this to the previous year for comparison. I have done this for my last analysis, as I have been working solely on full years data so used the "Accounting Year" field in my data source. These were 2012, 2013, 204 and 2015.

I had two columns, one for 2014 and other for 2015, the columns below are all calculated fields - except GBP Spend.

Just to keep the reports simpler and less busy I actually hid the 2014 year as you would be able to roughly work out the previous years figures based on seeing only 2015 as it shows spend and £ /% change from the previous year.

My problem now is that I need the next reporting phase to reflect the next “rolling year”, and each subsequent one to show the values only for the rolling years for comparison. I.e.:

• April 2015 to March 2016 vs. April 2014 to March 2015 (Q1 reports)
      • July 2015 to June 2016 vs July 2014 to June 2015 (Q2 reports)
      • October 2015 to September 2016 vs October 2014 to September 2015 (Q3 reports)

Etc etc moving for each subsequent quarter.

I have following columns in my data that I have not used but do not know how to:

- Accounting Quarter (Q1, Q2, Q3 or Q4)

- Accounting Month (Jan to Dec)

- Accounting Date (which is in the format dd/mm/yyyy)

As well as Accounting Year as mentioned above as whole years.

I was planning to be able add in the new sets of data for the quarters coming up into the master file to keep the process relatively simple.

Would it be easier if you saw my workbook?