1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 3:01 PM by Dave Hart

Making a date infinite

Hillary Lincourt

Hello,

I have a Gantt chart that shows the time a person has been a student, faculty or alumni - a person is reported in a single row on the Viz transitioning from student to alumni.  Our dataset has a row for each year a person was a student or faculty so that part of the Gantt chart is straight forward. These dates (visually) are discrete, meaning there is a beginning and an end.  For Alumni, the dataset only has one row, the year they became an Alumni.  I'm looking to visualize alumni as a continuous date, beginning with the date associated with the Alumni record.  Is this possible?  I would expect the Gantt bar to end at the current year (ex 2016) for all Alumni.

Ex

Person 1     Student     2010

Person 1     Student     2011

Person 1     Student     2012

Person 1     Student     2013

Person 1     Alumni     2013

Person 2     Student     2010

Person 2     Student     2011

Person 1     Alumni     2011

I want the Gantt bar for Alumni to be from 2013 - 2016 for Person 1 and 2011 - 2016 for Person 2.

My thought is to use some type of <=date for Alumni but I'm not quite sure how to get started.

I appreciate any ideas!

Thank you,

Hillary

• 1. Re: Making a date infinite
          Dave Hart

Hi Hillary,

if you start the gantt bar at MIN(Year) and then you calculate the length using an IF statement that checks the Type (Student/Alumni)

something like this

IIF(ATTR(Type)='Alumni',YEAR(TODAY()),MAX(Year))-MIN(Year)

this. checks whether the type is an alumni and uses the year part of whatever todays date is, otherwise it uses the max(year)

hope this helps

Dave

Interworks