2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 3:04 AM by Devendra Sahu

Centralize tableau datasouce for multiple workbooks in tableau desktop

Raman Sharma

I have multiple Tableau workbooks using the same data source. I want to centralize this data source and refresh the extract so that it would update data in all my 5 workbooks. i would appreciate if someone could please help me understand this approach. I am using tableau desktop and wondering is their a way to achive this in tableau desktop.

at the moment i have tried creating tde but this does not work, i have tried twbx file (source file) also and using source file as a datasource in other worksheet (sheet1) but when i refresh the source file it does not show the changes in sheet1.

Can you please suggest a way forward.

• 1. Re: Centralize tableau datasouce for multiple workbooks in tableau desktop
          Sharad Adhikari

Hi Raman,

I suggest you to try creating extract and use Tableau Data extract command line utility to refresh your extract data in Tableau desktop.

Please read the article below for how to do this.

Tableau Data Extract Command-Line Utility

Let us know if you were successful.

BR

Sharad

• 2. Re: Centralize tableau datasouce for multiple workbooks in tableau desktop
            Devendra Sahu

Hi Raman,

It is very easy to get it done.

1) Create a Tableau dashboard by connecting it to any database connection

2) Save the dashboard as .twb file (not .twbx) it will also save the .tde file along with this dashboard

3) create multiple copies of the same dashboard (.twb) file and let them all refer to the previous .tde file

Now whenever you will refresh the data of .tde file through any of the dashboard (in desktop version) all other dashboards will also get this refreshed data. In The tableau online version you just have to refresh the .tde file and automatically all the linked dashboards will take refreshed data.

In your case (when you have already created dashboards) save all of them as .twb files and delete all the .tde files saved along with them but one. when you will open the dashboards it will ask for .tde file at that time point all dashboards to that same .tde file

Hope this helps.