1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 5:05 PM by Chris McClellan

Filtering Across Data Sources (Global?)

austin montgomery

Hi all,

I'm looking to have a filter apply across data sources, in an indirect manner.  Has anyone heard of a way to accomplish this?  Details below:

1. My data model has multiple tables, which are associated via keys.  For the sake of simplicity, let's imagine we have three tables (A, B, and C) and they are all associated by the same key (the larger data model has more tables and more keys, so I'm hoping any solution can scale to that paradigm).
      2. As an assumption, we need to assume I cannot alter my data model in any way (I am stuck with these three tables - in reality, more like 8, but hey, this is an example ).
      3. I've created a workbook with multiple dashboards.  I'd like to apply a filter from a non-key field in Table A, and have it propagate through the key field to Tables B and C, such that the data in visuals built from Table B and C show only data based on the filter from Table A.
      4. Note that the field I filtered on from Table A is not a field in Table B or C.

I'm on Tableau 9.3, which I have access to on PC and Mac.

If you're reading this and saying, gee-willickers, that sounds like how Qlik works, you're right.  I'm on a unique project right now and need to know if Tableau can match this functionality!  Please let me know.

Thanks, and let me know if you need more details - I'm happy to provide!

• 1. Re: Filtering Across Data Sources (Global?)
          Chris McClellan

Definitely doable

BUT .... do you have a datasource for each table, or a single datasource where all the tables are joined ? (to do what you're doing you'll need a single datasource with the tables joined).

I know you can't alter the existing data model, but you could also (my preference) create a view (in the database) that joins all the tables together, hides the keys, and provides only the data you need to Tableau.

Let me know if you need more help/info