4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 6:59 AM by Toby Erkson

Need a test SSL cert. for Windows Server 2012 R2.  How?

Toby Erkson

I have a TEST Tableau Server that I want to test SSL on.  This will be for external connections, from Server to data source (http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#ssl_config.htm?Highlight=ssl ).  The Server is MS Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, version 6.3.9600.  I was told that I can use PowerShell to get a self-signed certificate.  I do not have IIS installed and don't really want to install it unless absolutely required as it looks like it causes issues according to the search I performed here in the forums (mostly with port 443 I believe).

Okay, I'm educated as a programmer, not a networking or certified server admin, so I have no idea how to do this.  Also, if it matters, I know DOS/cmd scripting but cannot script in PowerShell.  I tried a little bit at one time so it's set up on my laptop:

How do I do get a temporary/test SSL cert.?  Steps and/or web pages to guide me would be helpful.

Is this the right direction or do I need a real cert.?

One of the reasons for testing is we use some proxy redirection and I need to make sure Tableau mapping, licensing, etc. will still work.