0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2016 11:14 AM by Olivier Daneau

Tableau Embeded workbook with Web Data Connector

Olivier Daneau

I have built a web page to help me visualize stock information and I would like to use an embeded Tableau workbook for viz.

What I am trying to achieve is this: When the user enters a ticker symbol on my webpage, the ticker is sent to an embeded Tableau workbook using the Javascript API.

I then want to use the StockQuoteConnector web data connector from the WDC SDK to gather data on the stock entered by the user and then display my viz.

So far I managed to get the webpage to send the ticker symbol as a parameter to the workbook using the Javascript API.

I also was able to build the web data connector and publish it to my Tableau server along with my workbook so that I can get the desired data.

The connector and the workbook work together very well, and the stock symbol is sent successfully.

However, I have a difficult time figuring out how to dynamically update the data connector source (or create a new one?) when the user types a new stock symbol.

Also I wonder what happens if the user wants to display a different stock afterwards . Should there be one data connector for each stock symbol or is there a way to update a data connector with a new set of data parameters.

I have read through the SDK and the javascript API documentations without an answer so I'm trying my luck here.

This is my first post so please let me know if you need additional info.

Thank you,

Olivier