2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2016 6:02 AM by jon rios

Create Combined Set

jon rios

I have several Sets.  if I right click a set, most have the functionality: "Create Combined Set"... BUT i do have 1 set that DOES NOT have this functionality available when I right click it...WHY?

this set happens to be created by "Condition" --> "By formula" --> STARTSWITH([ CUSTOMER NAME], "a")

Why does this Set not have the "create combined set" functionality BUT the other do?  What is the rule?

• 1. Re: Create Combined Set
          Carl Slifer

Howdy Jon,

Try creating a combined set where both sets are formed by using Condition. And try to create a combined set where both are formed by using Top. I've ran into this before where I could only combine if both were conditions or both were from the top tab. I do not believe this is intentional on Tableau's part. But it might be for reasons unknown to me.

Another issue could be that you may have mistakenly built this set using a different field. The sets need to be based off of the same exact field.

Cheers!

Carl Slifer

InterWorks

• 2. Re: Create Combined Set
            jon rios

thanks Carl,

not sure if there is a quirk with Sets, i recreated same conditional and it now has the "create combined", i also created a Set "Customer Sales > 500".  I could not create a combined set with BOTH, even though i can obviously create a VIZ with these conditions using the filters.  I was initially using a workbook downloaded from internet from a previous version of TBL which was saved to upgrade it.  I tried this same behavior on a fresh workbook using 9.3 and it has all the options and ability to create combined sets now. So maybe a quirk using older workbooks...

thanks for the reply