4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 2:34 PM by Chris Labriola

Excluding data with multiple attributes

Chris Labriola

Hiya! Our organization somewhat recently started using Tableau. We're running into a new problem in our datasets where one item may have multiple criteria on multiple lines.

I've prepared a demo workbook and source excel to illustrate the issue. When we load a view with this data we see each single Box with multiple Items in it. When we attempt to filter out an item we are looking to exclude any Box that may have that Item in it. What really happens is that just the lines with that item are removed so the Box that has that Item in it still appears in the view. (Example Detail: When I uncheck Item 2 from the Items quick filter i'd expect Box1, Box 2, and Box 3 to be excluded from the view since they all have Item 2 in them.) Does anyone know of a way to exclude a Box which contains the excluded Item in it? We've googled and looked all over the net but can't seem to find a solution. It's possible we are not phrasing it properly so the example workbook will hopefully help. Thanks!!