1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 2:01 PM by diego.medrano

Date Hierarchy Used to Filter

David Carr

Hello,

In the attached workbook, I have created two sheets.

Sheet 1) Show sales rep performance Jan-Jun, with the ability to expand/collapse the date field into quarters.

Sheet 2) Is a histogram representing the distribution of attainment % on how the sales reps performed.

I am trying to do one of 2 things:

One, have the histogram adjust when you expand/collapse the date range on Sheet 1. So that when it is collapsed to a quarterly view, there would only be 6 instances (3 reps x 2 quarters).

Or alternatively, the histogram would just display the distribution on a quarterly basis, not monthly.

Let me know if this would be possible!

David

• 1. Re: Date Hierarchy Used to Filter

Hey David,

There is no stock way to have hierarchies act as filters on dashboards. However, a workaround is to create hierarchies using parameters, showing parameter controls, then using the sheet as a filter:

1. Create a new parameter with the following settings:

-Data type: String

-List: (enter the three desired dimension names; i.e. Category, Sub-Category, Product Name)

2. Create a new calculated field, Dimension with the following formula:

CASE [Hierarchy Drilldown]

WHEN "Category" THEN [Category]

WHEN "Sub-Category" THEN [Sub-Category]

WHEN "Product Name" THEN [Product Name]

END

3. Drag Dimension to the Rows shelf.

4. Right click on Hierarchy Drilldown > 'Show Parameter Control'

Changing the Date Level Dynamically | Tableau Software could also be helpful.