3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 4:45 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Simple task: How can I put four measure in the same chart?

Fabio Guimaraes

Hi Guys,

Simple Task:

I have 4 Measures, two or Those are in columns and a third one in line, both in the same chart (first one).

I can not put my 4th measure (second line chart) on the same first chart and do not know why.

Any help?

Sorry, I knowthat maybe is easy and I really tried to find a solution on line and failed.

DoubtTableau.jpg

• 1. Re: Simple task: How can I put four measure in the same chart?
          Paul Mathewson

Hey Fabio,

You can only put a forth measure on the chart if the three others were bars and the forth a line.  You can put as many measures on MN/MV as you would like but then can only add one additional measure to that through a dual axis approach.  Unfortunately, you can not use dual axis twice in the way you are trying to use it.  I'd put three measures on as a bar then add the fourth as a line.

Hope this helps!

Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Simple task: How can I put four measure in the same chart?
            Fabio Guimaraes

Dear Paul

Thank you for your help but I tried, tried, tried again...and nothing.

Here is the task:

1 - The first column chart shows spends using two measures on the left axis

2 - The second column chart shows GRP measures using both axis, check that they are synchronized.

2.1 - I moved one of the measures in the second chart to the first column chart using the right axis but is impossible to move the 4th variable that still in the second chart.

My goal is achieve a chart as my third picture below that I did using excel.

Sincerely, I will be very disappointed if Tableau can't do it.

Thanks

Doubt1Tableau.png

Doubt2Tableau.png

Snap 2016-03-22 at 09.07.46.png

• 3. Re: Simple task: How can I put four measure in the same chart?
              Jonathan Drummey

Good morning Fabio,

I'm following up from your request at http://drawingwithnumbers.artisart.org/bars-and-lines. If you follow the flowchart on that post you'll see that given that you are starting out with 4 measures the only way to get the chart that you want is to reshape your data using what's outlined in 8a/b. If your underlying data source supports Tableau's pivot feature then you can do reshaping entirely in Tableau, otherwise you'd need to reshape the data outside Tableau.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful