2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 9:48 AM by Gerry Zakharian

Charting without a Date Measure

Gerry Zakharian

Hello,

I would like some assistance/insight on how to create a line chart without using a date measure.

Backstory: I work for a company to owns and operates several YouTube channels with an extensive video library. I’m working on ways to better visualize our performance in a meaningful way with Tableau. For some more backstory, see here… https://community.tableau.com/message/465044#465044 or here https://community.tableau.com/message/471321#471321

My Charting Issue: I am having a hard time getting a chart to display in a way that I want.  I have a large number of series and I would like to use Tableau to visualize the decay rate so everyone can see how quickly view counts drop off. I have generated calculations to show the views at 6 intervals (Views on just Day 1, 3, 7, 30, 60, and 90). These intervals have been defined (i.e. Day 1 is the first day of upload and will be a different day for each video of the series, regardless if it was uploaded two week or two years ago). I would like to use the Views for just those defined days to show the decay rate.

I have attached a sample workbook to show you the numbers that I am working with. I have also created a line chart in Excel using this data to show you an idea of what I would like this chart to look like.

I’ve tried many different variations of what is shown in the columns/rows, different chart types, etc. I keep running into the problem where each interval is displayed completely separately. I want this to be one line across the 6 intervals.

Is there any way to get this data to show in one chart for all of the series and allow filters to work their magic to display only the wanted series?

Thank you in advance for any help/input!

• 1. Re: Charting without a Date Measure
          Steve Mayer

You could create a couple of calculated fields that bucket elapsed days into your 6 groupings (1 = 1, 2 = 3, 3 = 7, etc) and get a line chart (you'd have to fake the labels in a dashboard).

[Elapsed Days]

DATEDIFF('day', [Day 1], [Metric Date]) + 1

[Elapsed Days Bucket]

IF [Elapsed Days] = 1 THEN 1 ELSE IF [Elapsed Days] = 3 THEN 2

ELSE IF [Elapsed Days] = 7 THEN 3 ELSE IF [Elapsed Days] = 30 THEN 4

ELSE IF [Elapsed Days] = 60 THEN 5 ELSE IF [Elapsed Days] = 90 THEN 6

END END END END END END

But I don't know how you would do the smooth curves in Tableau - trend lines won't accurately portray the data...

But I'd much rather show elapsed days as a continuous 90 day run - your first approach hides the fact that you reached over a million views for two of your series...

[Elapsed Days]

DATEDIFF('day', [Day 1], [Metric Date]) + 1

• 2. Re: Charting without a Date Measure
            Gerry Zakharian

This is perfect - Thank you!!