11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 7:06 AM by Gerardo Varela

Help with expanding a dashboard

Joe Oppelt

I have an existing dashboard with a billion different objects on it.  (OK, I exaggerate...)  Everything is floating on this dashboard.

It is currently designed with an initial size of iPad Landscape.

I want to change the height of the dashboard so that an unlimited number of new things can be put below all the existing stuff.  Over time this page is destined to grow, and the user will scroll up and down to see more things on this dashboard.

If I double the height of the dashboard from its existing 625 (which is the default for iPad Landscape) to 1250 every object already on this dashboard is resized to double height.  I don't want that.  I just want blank space added to the bottom of the dashboard.

Attached is an 8.2 superstore example that does the same thing.  It is laid out on a Desktop dashboard, with floating objects.  Change it from 800 to 1600 (or whatever) and the height of the existing objects are proportionally extended.

How can I just add blank space below an existing dashboard?

• 1. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
          ann.stolzman

Hi Joe,

Those items look like they're placed directly on the dashboard, instead of having the hierarchy (for lack of a better word) of TILED sitting right under Dashboard, which is what you usually see with a dashboard (see below).

Dashboard.PNG

Do you have the Tiled "container" on your dashboard (I added the Tiled here, by virtue of dragging something else into the dashboard), or all the items that are automatically sizing right under dashboard?  You should be able to just drag a Blank into the bottom of the dashboard to force blank space.

-Ann-

• 2. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
            ann.stolzman

Everything also seems to be floating individually.  How about unchecking that?

• 3. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
              Joe Oppelt

The point of my issue is that all my objects are floating.  Not tiled.  It's a very detailed layout that can't be achieved on a tiled dashboard.

Even if there is an underlying tiled container, all the floating stuff resizes when I change the dashboard size.  That's what I want to find a work around for.

• 4. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
                Shawn Wallwork

Joe I just posted this reply to my own Idea that deals with this issue:

Don't Resize Floating Objects When Desktop Size Changes

We both have, and foresee the same problem. Encourage your followers to vote for this Idea!

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 5. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
                  Shawn Wallwork

And here's the plug:

Shameless Plug for an Idea...

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
                    Joe Oppelt

Well, right now I'm trying to find a hack in the XML.

The obvious editing of the size does not do it.

I upvoted your idea.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
                      Gerardo Varela

Joe,

I had a look at the xml and didn't find anything that will change the sheet back to it's original placement .  The dashboard is basically like an outer coordinate system and the sheet lies in, h w x y, within that coordinate system.  You can see what I described by looking at the values <zone> in the xml. As you change the dashboard size the <zone> values remain the same.  If you go back to the dashboard, with its new size, and edit the placement of the sheet in Tableau the <zone> values change even though it's in the exact same place as to original.  I'm not sure if any of the above makes sense but If you need me to clarify anything let me know and I'll try.

Regards,

Gerardo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
                        Joe Oppelt

Geraldo -- So far that's all I've been able to discern too.

Elsewhere we have been in contact with the PM for the Dashboards Team at Tableau.  I asked for some guidance or possible hack.

So far the only workaround I can find is to expand the dashboard and resize ... everything.  (And I guess it's not a HORRIBLE thing to open a non-expanded copy in one window and the expanded copy in another, and just go down the layout list typing in the coordinates from the old copy...)

• 9. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
                          Gerardo Varela

Joe,

If the product manager does post anything can you update this thread?  I'd be interested in what he says or doesn't say.  Hopefully he eludes to a possible hack of some sort that we aren't seeing.  

Regards,

Gerardo

P.S.  I know, for people that can't roll their R's, my name is hard to pronounce but I don't like being associate with this guy http://www.geraldo.com/

• 10. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
                            Joe Oppelt

The discussion is in this thread in the IDEAS forum, and he has responded in there:

Don't Resize Floating Objects When Desktop Size Changes

• 11. Re: Help with expanding a dashboard
                              Gerardo Varela

Joe,

Thanks for the link!  I'm about to go into a ramble...

It's going to take some work, and I think it's above my skill set, but this could be written into a script, alteryx macro, etc etc.

A.

Let's find out how Tableau normalizes the sheet within the dashboard.

1.  One variable at time starting with height since this our current problem.  Grab a sheets zone variables, w h x y.  Change the dashboard height position by a small increment, say ten.  Open up the dashboard place the sheet back in its original spot. Record the new sheet zone variables.  Rinse and repeat until there is a nice sampling.

B.  I'm not sure how complicated the math is but should be possible to formulate the normalization of the sheet within the constraints of the dashboard given A and knowing that the dashboard <= 100000

C.  Script it.  Parse through the xml grab the h w x y of the dashboard as well as the sheets  h w x y.  Apply formula in B.  Get new zone values h w x y. Replace zone values. With one dashboard, should be easy enough as proof of concept.

D.  Coordinate.

Crowd sourced to the right people and this could be an easy task.

I list the names in no specific order:

A.  Anyone can do this even multiple people. Just need a very lean workbook to make it easier. The workload could be spread 800-850 assigned to one person.  860-900 to another. Increments of ten. 

B.  First people that come to my mind are Bill Lyons and Yuriy Fal.

C. Mike Roberts, Tamas Foldi, Toby Erkson

D.  Joe Oppelt and Shawn Wallwork. You guys have the need for it but is the juice worth the squeeze?

Ramble over.... I think...

Regards,

Gerardo