7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 8:15 AM by Nicholas Hara

Help/guidance on a transactional data challenge - Open/Close Bar Chart

Andreas Gamponia

So I am a Tableau newbie trying to come up with what I had thought was a simple bar chart and in having read some of the community answers to similar sounding problems, I partially understand the nature of my problem but have not figured out how I can solve the challenge.  In a word, I am LOST…

Allow me to explain and request some guidance from the many talented Tableau users in the community.

I use Tableau on an isolated network, so I created a dummy Excel data spreadsheet so I can try to solve my problem.

I have some simple help desk ticketing data that has a unique ticket number, a ticket open date, and a ticket close date.  I have additional data points like last access date, but don’t believe I need those.

I am looking to create a simple bar chart where I can show number of tickets opened in a month, and right next to that (in the same chart) a bar for the number of tickets closed that month.  That is the primary task.  If I can manage, Id also like to show a trend line of tickets open per month.  I know that were closing less than we open tickets, so I know we have a net gain of tickets, hence a trend line would be great to show that relationship.

I know from reading the posts here that I have a lookup versus transactional data challenge, but despite reading several posts, I have not understood how to solve the problem. I created a Excel dummy data spreadsheet where I had the ticket number and open and close dates in a sheet. After reading the transactional data issue I created new sheets to separate the open date and close date to the tickets and am trying to understand how that helps me develop the desired bar chart?

I have attached a excel file with simulated dummy data and a dot-twbx file.  One of the most relevant explanations I had found by Yuriy Fal mentions using data blending into a scaffold data source, and although I continue to read any examples I can find, I’m not clear how to accomplish the data blending on the basis of the data I have.

Any help so I can understand how to solve my problem would be highly appreciated.

Im also attaching a drawn example of what I am trying to accomplish.

Thank you,