6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 5:03 PM by Eric Horio

Numbers overlapping on a line chart

Eric Horio

Is there a way to show only a single value on the first weeks' data? I would like to show only one value for the first week ( which is the same for both lines ) and not have them overlap or show up twice.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Numbers overlapping on a line chart
          Simon Runc

hi Eric,

So the reason you have 2 labels, is that you have set the label for both charts and then when you dual-axis them both labels are shown. When you have 2+ Axis (green pills on Row/Column Shelf) you get control over each one. So all you need to do is remove the label from one of them...as shown below

Hope that does the trick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Numbers overlapping on a line chart
            Eric Horio

Doing the above removes all of the blue lines numbers.  I only want one of the first number for Nov 7 removed, so they don't overlap, not all of the blue lines' numbers

• 3. Re: Numbers overlapping on a line chart
              pooja.gandhi

Hi Eric,

You can create a calc like: if first() != 0 then sum([Pipe Created]) end and place this calc on label of the 2nd axis instead of sum(pipe created) on label:

• 4. Re: Numbers overlapping on a line chart
                Eric Horio

Thanks Pooja! You seem to have all the correct answers!

I have a question for you. If you look at this question I posted a couple of weeks ago about highlighting certain cells:

https://community.tableau.com/thread/201481

Is there a easier way to do this? All I want to do is highlight the cells that have a certain value or above for one column, not everything. Is there a formula I can use?

• 5. Re: Numbers overlapping on a line chart
                  pooja.gandhi

Hi Eric,

I am glad that helped. Adam pretty much explained on the other thread what could be done given your current data structure. The only change I would make to his suggestions is instead of dragging min number of records 4 times, you can drag it 2 times by keeping measure names on columns. This creates just 2 marks cards. Change the mark type of 'All' marks cards to 'text' instead of bars because I read in your post you wanted to color the numbers not the cells? Then click on the dropdown of the 2nd number of records pill and select dual axis.

Drag measure names to filter and only keep pipe open, won and lost selected. On the 1st marks card, you will already have measure values on text, leave it as that. On the 2nd marks card, remove measure values from text and place pipe created on text and Adam's color formula on color. For the pipe created field, you will initially see 'min no of records' on the axis. You can right click on it > edit alias> name it pipe created. Additionally you can change the color of the nulls to black to match other fields color. I made the font bold to show you what they look like. Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Numbers overlapping on a line chart
                    Eric Horio

Hi Pooja,

The formula you provided worked great, but is there a way for the March 5 number to show a zero instead of a blank? I tried using the ZN(LOOKUP(SUM([Amount]),0)) formula, but it wouldn't let me combined that formula with the one you provided to remove the duplicates for Feb 6.

I tried using the ZN(LOOKUP(SUM([Amount]),0)) on it's own, which included the zero, but the duplicates for Feb 6 showed up. Any suggestions?