4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 1:51 AM by Amanjot Klair

How to "hide" value in quick filters not "exclude"

Randy Adhitama Setiadi

Hi all,

I have a problem for quick filters in dashboard. Let say i have 4 value in my database contains : Null, State 1, State 2 and Unknown. When I want to show the quick filters in dashboard of course it would show 4 of the values. But I need it to show only for State 1 and State 2.

Some of the resource i've read, recommend to make it into set first to choose the only value that I want to show. But my understanding it's like make Null and Unknown value excluded. What I need is when I choose State 1, it will show combined value between null, unknown and state 1, also when I choose State 2, it will show combined value of null, unknown and state 2.

I tried to use code like this

IF Value="Null" or Value="Unknown" or Value="State 1" then "State 1"

ELSEIF Value="Null" or Value="Unknown" or Value="State 2" then "State 2"

END

It works well for State 1, but not so well for State 2. It's like when I choose State 2 it only shows "State 2" not combination between null, unknown and state 2.

How to solve this problem?

Thanks

Randy

• 1. Re: How to "hide" value in quick filters not "exclude"
          Andrew Watson

Are you able to use a parameter + calculated field instead of a quick filter?

• 2. Re: How to "hide" value in quick filters not "exclude"
            Randy Adhitama Setiadi

Hi Andrew,

I haven't tried to use parameter because I need option that can select both of State 1 and State 2. And from my understanding this kind of function not available if we use parameter.

Thanks

Randy

• 3. Re: How to "hide" value in quick filters not "exclude"
              Andrew Watson

Yes, that's correct, no multi select in a parameter. Considering the problem my simplistic approach would be to group Unknown and Null into a separate 'Unknown' group and display that value in the filter. This is because isn't State 1 or State 2 hence could be confusing to the user, especially if they choose to view the data.

Generally in situations like this I would put a note in the filter title asking them not to deselect Unknown if they shouldn't be doing so.

Perhaps this solution is less elegant than you would like but:

1. It's simple
              2. It's clear to the dashboard user what is happening
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to "hide" value in quick filters not "exclude"
                Amanjot Klair

Hi Randy,

I don't know if this solution will be a straight forward solution but by my intrepretation of your issue i think this should work.

Create a new calc field for your measure column and use a parameter instead of quick filter if possible and assign values State1 and State2

IF [Parameter] = 'State1' THEN

IF [State] = 'State1' OR [State] = NULL OR [State] = 'Unknown' THEN [Measure Value]

ELSE 0

END

ELSE

IF [State] = 'State2' OR [State] = NULL OR [State] = 'Unknown' THEN [Measure Vlaue]

ELSE 0

END

END

As you have mentioned in your comment that you would want users to select both the values as well then what is the inteded behavious [State1]+[State2]+NULL+Unknown or [State1]+[State2]+NULL+Unknown+NULL+Unknown?

If you are ok with showing 3 values to your users in parameter then both the values can also be selected.

Incluse another value in your paramter State1+State2

and in the above calc instead of ELSE use ELSEIF

ELSEIF

[Parameter] = 'State1+State2' THEN [Measure Value]

-Amanjot