6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 11:26 PM by Mark Fraser

Visualize clinical event in time series

Jue Hou

Hi all,

I'm a 3-month-only Tableau user and a newbie to this forum. Very happy to find this support community while searching for a solution for a problem I have here. 

The problem is to visualize a clinical pathway where there are multiple events (X-ray, blood test, surgery, medicine, etc.) happening for a single patient in a time series manner. I want to visualize the events as small bars (color coded for different categories of event) followed by one another on a single line. Please see the picture below for a sample done using another software. Sorry for the poor image quality since it is a screenshot from a video... Each line here is a single patient.

pathway1_1.PNG

In the second picture below, it illustrates how the visualization would show the respective occurrence of the same event across all patients.

pathway1_2.PNG

I'm going through Tableau Public's gallery to look for similar designs. In the meantime, I wonder if anyone here has any idea on how this could be achieved or alternatively what other resources I could look to other than Tableau Public.

Again, nice to be here!  Look forward to more learning and sharing in the future!