2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 6:16 PM by lei.chen.0

Tableau Translation Quality

Danielle Marcos

Greetings -

My name is Danielle Marcos and I am the Product Manager for our Product Internationalization team. So think along the lines of globalization, internationalization, localization and translation of our product documentation, user interface, maps, mobile...

Specifically, I want to hear from you if you have any feedback about our translation quality in our product. Are we doing a great job? If so, what is the best example? Could we be doing a better job? What specifically should we consider improving on? The bottom line: Is the linguistic quality getting in the way of your creative deep analysis?

If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions - please feel free to share your story with me in this thread, message or email.

• 1. Re: Tableau Translation Quality
          Russell Christopher

Tableau's UI has been localized to these languages:

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 21 05.32.jpg

Tableau can display any unicode character set, however - which means you can "see" any language you need inside the dashboards you want.

• 2. Re: Tableau Translation Quality
            lei.chen.0

Hello Danielle,

First I'm Chinese and I also frequently use Japanese in work.

Overall I prefer to use English version of Tableau, including online documents.

The reason is that, English is the original language for Tableau. It's the most precise one.

Sometimes, in order to communicate with customer/colleague, I also use localized ones.

My experience is,

- Overall, Translations (CN & JP) for Tableau Desktop and Server are good, though there is problem of nuance.

Localized ones have some subtle difference, compared to English, sometimes causing misunderstanding

- Online document translations, especially Japanese ones, have more problems. Some are difficult to understand, and some are incorrect even.

By the way, just now I found a Chinese translation problem for Tableau Desktop (10.2 beta1).

Chinese error message

The message has grammar problem and is not readable.

English couterpart

Regards