4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2018 12:52 AM by Hans Huisken

SSL error when connecting to Tableau Server from desktop.

Judith Lanzo

An individual is getting an error Internet Communication error: SSL connect error.  When trying to connect to Tableau Server from desktop.  I He is on a different domain than where the tableau server is installed.  Tableau server is installed using local authentication.  Server and desktop version are both 9.2.  A firewall rule is set up to allow the users access to the server tableau is installed on.  If he logs on to Tableau Server via the web browser he does not have an issue.  I had the user install the certificate Tableau Server is using for ssl, that did not work.  If I remove the ssl configuration, the has no issue.  Any suggestions on what else to try to continue to use ssl?

• 1. Re: SSL error when connecting to Tableau Server from desktop.
          Greg Pitts

Judith,

I had a bit of fun setting up Tableau Server for HTTPS.  The last error I was fixed was when trying to connect from Tableau Desktop to Tableau Server.  The error message was: Internet communication error:  SSL connect error.  In the end, I did get HTTPS up and running.  Here are the steps I took; variables that you need to enter for your server are in []:

1. On Server:  Created a self-signed certificate using OpenSSL
            • Open Windows PowerShell icon on the taskbar
            • cd 'C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\apache\bin'
            • .\openssl.exe genrsa -out [keyname].key 4096
            • .\openssl.exe req -new -key [keyname].key -config 'C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\apache\conf\openssl.cnf' -out [keyname].csr
            • Enter Country Name, State or Provence Name, Locality, Organization Name, Organizational Unit Name, Common Name and optional company name
            • .\openssl.exe x509 -req -days 3600 -in ssk_tableau.csr -signkey ssk_tableau.key -out ssk_tableau.crt
            • New-Item 'C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\SSL' -type directory
            • Copy-Item [keyname].crt 'C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\SSL'
            • Copy-Item [keyname].key 'C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\SSL'
          2. On Server:  Configure External SSL
            • Stop Tableau Server
            • Open Tableau Server Configuration
            • Click SSL tab
            • Browse and select the SSL certificate file you created above
            • Browse and select the SSL certificate key file you created above
            • Click OK
            • Start Tableau Server
          3. On Server (For Testing):  Double-click and install [keyname].crt in C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\SSL
            • Copy the certificate file (.crt) to the computer which is running Tableau Desktop
            • Double-click the certificate file, click Install Certificate, and then click Next
            • Select Place all certificates in the following store, click Browse, select Trusted Root Certification Authorities, and then click OK, Next, and Finish
            • Click Yes on the Security Warning popup to install the certificate
            • Click Ok on the Certification Wizard popup
            • Click OK to close the Certificate window
          4. On Server:  Perform a test from the server-side
            • Navigate to your web server and make sure you can still log in
            • Open Tableau Desktop and Connect to Tableau Server
            • Input web address (note: this has to be exactly what the Common Name was in the certificate file)
            • Input credentials and make sure you can log in
          5. On Client PC:  Validate connection from the client-side
            • Repeat tasks in Step #3 and #4

Final notes:  You could obviously use a real certificate authority (CA) and use those files instead.  Our company doesn't need that because we are serving this on the intranet.  Also, I noticed on the Windows 7 client PCs...I had an error message in the Certificate Manager after installing the certificate file.  The error said: certificate has expired or is not yet valid.  Really silly reason, my server time was incorrect when I created the certificate so the client thought the certificate couldn't be used yet!  So if you run into this, try moving the date forward one day on the client PC so the certificate validates.  You can change it back after.  Probably a better idea to make sure your clients and servers are all using the same NTP servers. 

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SSL error when connecting to Tableau Server from desktop.
            Brian Coggon

Hi Judith,

Greg has provided some great steps.  I am curious if this resolved your SSL challenge.

Cheers,

Brian

• 3. Re: SSL error when connecting to Tableau Server from desktop.
              Mansoor Chughtai

My problem was related to proxy settings. Once I enabled proxy settings I was able to connect. Once I figured that out, I worked with my network architect to get my tableau server domain name whitelisted. That resolved it for the whole organization.

Steps to check via Tableau Desktop:

1. Delete logs folder from C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Tableau Repository

2. open Tableau and try signing in to the server.

3. Once error is received, go to newly created logs folder and check details.

4. should show proxy error (or if its something related to another problem, you should be able to find it here).

Mansoor

• 4. Re: SSL error when connecting to Tableau Server from desktop.
                Hans Huisken

Great and very helpful post Greg!

As of version 58, Chrome does not accept the Common Name (CN) anymore.

The certificate should be created with a 'Subject Alternative Name' which should match the Tableau Server URL.

Check out this post how to generate a certificate with a 'Subject Alternative Name':

ssl - Generating a self-signed cert with openssl that works in Chrome 58 - Server Fault

Cheers Hans.