9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 8:53 AM by John Taylor

Complicated data join/blend on dates

John Taylor

Hey all,

I'm attempting to create, what I would consider an uncomplicated viz, but I'm struggling.  I do realize I need to join my data but I can't seem to think of a way to do it properly.  Maybe my data is not set up properly. (?)  I'll try to be as clear as I can with my thoughts.

I have two sets of call center data: (both in excel)

1. Closed Requests (data points I am concerned with are below)
        1. Closed Date
        2. Level 2 Date
      2. Open Requests (data points I am concerned with are below)
        1. Level 2 Date

I'm trying to give management one view showing volume in and volume out, day over day, for the last 7 days.  Showing a ratio would also be nice.

So the volume out would be from the Closed Requests data, and simply count the number of items for each DAY of closed date.  Relatively easy.

The volume in would be from both the Closed and the Open Requests data, and would simply count the number of items for each day of 'Level 2 Date'.  A little more complicated since I need a sum of records from both data sets.

I would love to show this in a visualization like what is below; which would require it to be on 1 worksheet with a data join on dates...I just can't wrap my head around it.

Capture.PNG

Really hoping one of you has had to do something similar.

To simplify my efforts, I created mock data for the above sets, pairing down all other information.  I can share that data if it helps.

Appreciate community help!

JR