3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2016 2:35 PM by Ben Neville

Algorithms used in tableau

Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi All,

Whenever i  work with tableau i would wonder how tableau is performing this efficiently. To get these  they might have used several algorithms. So out of anxiety i am asking this question.

What kind of algorithms they have used? how it works? on which feature which algorithm is used?

• 1. Re: Algorithms used in tableau
          Ben Neville

Hi Tharashasank - out of curiosity, is there a specific reason you are asking this question? Our development team puts a lot of work into making sure everything is computed/performed as efficiently as possible.

Is there some aggregation or statistical algorithm you are interested in? This is a bit of an ambiguous question. There are certain ways we compute averages, certain ways we calculate forecasts, trend lines, and various statistical calculations. Data connections differ on a data source by data source basis, as each of our connectors is optimized for the underlying database and ways in which that technology processes various queries. Tableau Server does a number of things that keep performance in mind both in queries, internal processes, and interactivity.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's difficult to answer your question in its current form.

• 2. Re: Algorithms used in tableau
            Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi,

But in general if i take an example TDe what kind of compression algorithm you are using. so when we know these things it would easy for us to explain the client. what the best tableau is doing . so we cannot achieve on top of that.

• 3. Re: Algorithms used in tableau
              Ben Neville

A .tde is a compressed columnar store of data. Again, if you want to know the technical details, this can be a rather lengthy discussion. Perhaps you might learn what you need from Leveraging Compression in the Tableau Data Engine. | Tableau Research.

1 of 1 people found this helpful