1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 3:25 PM by Joe Oppelt

Fill In Missing DateTime Values On A "Discrete" DateTime Column

Chris Sammons

I'm attempting to create a chart to plot Packet Completion Rate % over time.  As I have it now, I've made my X-Axis (Date/Time pill) dynamic, that will change based of an interval size of my choosing (1 Minute, 5 Minutes, 10 Minutes, 15 Minutes, 30 Minutes, and 60 Minutes).  Everything works fine except that Tableau will not show the date/time that does not exist in the underlying data source.  It makes since as to why, the data does not exist, but Is there a way for me to show the missing date/time values to show nothing existed?  As it shows now, the user could be misled to believe that all is well since Tableau appears to not be able to handle missing values when the date/time source is set for 'Discrete'.  I've been scouring the internet and the Tableau site for several days now and none of the posted solutions work (i.e., select 'Show Missing Values').  I was trying to create a dynamic bin, but couldn't get it to work either.

I've attached a sample of what I'm encountering.  Notice the missing date/time values starting at '10/26/2015 3:25:00 PM' and extending to '10/26/15 4:55:00 PM', yet the line graph leads one to believe that all is fine.  Any help would be appreciated.  Please let me know if there are any questions or I haven't explained something clearly.  Thanks.