5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 6:56 AM by Manjiri Virkar

Drop down Input for every row

Manjiri Virkar

Hi,

I am currently trying to incorporate some features in tableau. I have built a prototype in excel, which is attached.

Features to incorporate in tableau:

1. In the “Actions column”, every row should have a drop down. The drop down values should be all possible values in database belonging to Action column. The user should be able to change these values using drop down.
      2. Depending on “Action”, the “Total Savings” column would change. For example, if the user chooses action other than “close” then, total savings become  -(Annual Rent USD). Thus, the Total Savings would vary based on the actions chosen.

This is being done to check what would be the total based different actions. It will be used to check which action generates how much savings and will help to take a decision based on these numbers.

Can anyone please help me out on this?

Please find the attached workbook.

test.xls (Sheet 1): Database

Prototype (Sheet1): Prototype of required output.

Thanks and Regards,

Manjiri

• 1. Re: Drop down Input for every row
          Manjiri Virkar

Can this functionality be achieved in Tableau 9.0?

• 2. Re: Drop down Input for every row
            Joe Oppelt

I would say that you can't do this in Tableau.

Tableau is not Excel.  And Tableau is about displaying data, not updating data.

Tableau CAN change the displayed value of a calc field based on changes to filter values or parameter values, but you won't be saving it back to your data source.  But having a row-by-row user input ...  I can't see how you would do that.  At least not in 9.0.  (Tableau will have a sheet-within-a-tooltip feature in the next version, so that might give you a way to do something row-by-row.)

• 3. Re: Drop down Input for every row
              Shinichiro Murakami

Community, correct me if I'm wrong...

Maybe I'm wrong and there are new features to make this kind of requests easier?  anyways.

Manjiri,

I don't think this is a smart way to use Tableau.

Tableau is data visualization tool and not a tool to change input parameter and calculate something. (Part of this function can be done thru parameter)

I mean as long as data is already there, Tableau is pretty powerful, but in this case, preparing data input form in Tableau is quite troublesome.

Actually your request requires 7(# of states) different worksheets and 7 parameters for respective sheets, and combine 7 different sheets on dashboard.

If the number of states increased, we can not handle....

Your excel prototype is perfect to meet your request, and excel related web-basis tool is also available, I believe.

Thanks,

Shin

• 4. Re: Drop down Input for every row
                Joe Oppelt

Shin -- I'm with you on that.  I didn't even want to open the door to discussing how I would do this if I had to do it, but the only way I can think of doing it is to create separate sheets to collect each drop-down value.

Messy.

• 5. Re: Drop down Input for every row
                  Manjiri Virkar

Thanks Joe and Shin!