2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 6:27 PM by Joseph Bertram

Tableau Server :: "Run As" another user

Joseph Bertram

Hi everyone,

I have row-level security setup in certain Tableau Server extracts to prevent people from seeing certain rows in a specific data set. 

From, Desktop we can test out permissions using the "Filter as User" feature, however, from time-to-time, we use also tabcmd to download and then email out reports to specific users in an automated fashion

Is there a way get the "Filter as User" via tabcmd?

Thanks!

-=Joe

• 1. Re: Tableau Server :: "Run As" another user
          patrick.byrne.0

Joseph,

I just want to clarify exactly what is being asked, are you looking for a native tabcmd that could be used to test permission sets prior to the automated email being sent out?

Cheers,

Patrick

• 2. Re: Tableau Server :: "Run As" another user
            Joseph Bertram

Not just permissions but also all other security settings like any sort of row level security (RLS). 

For example, permissions just checks whether or not a report is allowed to be executed by a user.  But even if a user has access to a report, it doesn't mean that they can see all the data in the underlying data set. 

I am looking for a feature that checks at least the RLS  at the minimum.  I really don't care much about report permissions as I will probably maintain that manually in my tabcmd meta data, however, I won't have something that controls the data level security since Tableau runs that server side.  So it has to be a server side API.

-=Joe