6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 8:17 AM by Catherine Tulley

Newbie here...custom filled map from shapefile question

Catherine Tulley

Hi all,

I am a GIS person but new to Tableau. I recently attended two in-person training courses, so I'm kind of in the "advanced beginner" stage at the moment.

Okay, so I have a shapefile of municipal boundaries that I converted using ET GeoWizards' Polygon to Point tool.

In Tableau, I have the [ET IDR] and [Muni Name] fields in Detail, and [ET Order] as Path. I would like to map [$Value] according to [Muni Name].

I read some of the prior threads about using hierarchies in filled maps, but I'm not sure that's what I want to do. I could use a County>Municipality hierarchy if that would help; I have 500+ municipalities covering 10 counties.

If I drag [$Value] over to Color, it color-codes the whole region using the range for [$Value].

I would like for it to color-code each municipality by [$Value]. Is there some kind of work-around that I could use to do this, maybe a calculated field?

I am trying to build a dashboard that incorporates the map to both view and select data. So far, I've gotten it to work where the map can act as a filter if you click on a municipality, but I can't seem to get the map

to change color according to my desired filter, if that makes sense. I want to be able to toggle on Category 1, Category 2, Category 3, etc., and see the values for those categories change for each municipality within the region.

Any and all ideas are appreciated! Thanks in advance if you can help.

Cathy

• 1. Re: Newbie here...custom filled map from shapefile question
          Catherine Tulley

I played around with this some more, and was able to finally kinda-sorta get it to work. I joined my data table to the municipal boundary shapefile, then converted that to points, then exported the attribute table to Excel and imported that to Tableau. If I use the points table as the sole data source, about half of the time, Tableau will draw the polygons and let me drag Category 1, 2, 3, etc. to Color and shade the filled polygons appropriately. The other half of the time, following the same steps, the viz disappears, the polygons draw weirdly, or the polygons draw only until I try to add something to color. I've also saved the two data sources separately, and tried joining the data table to the boundary points table in Tableau. The joins don't work and it gives me all Null values.

I don't think I will be able to get it to dynamically change the map in the dashboard, so I'm going to try to use a parameter to switch between the map worksheets instead. example

If I manage to figure anything else out, I will add an update.

• 2. Re: Newbie here...custom filled map from shapefile question
            Chris McClellan

Is there any chance you can supply the shape files and some fake data ?

I might be able to help, but I'm not quite sure what you're after.

Cheers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Newbie here...custom filled map from shapefile question
              Catherine Tulley

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I found an awesome workbook with an example of what I am looking to do, in this thread:

Change color based on parameter

Their dashboard has a dynamic custom map that changes depending on which variable is selected from the drop-down menu at top right.

I would like to do the same thing, but each variable would have a different color ramp, versus all of them using the same color ramp. I kept at my initial problem and was able to get the custom geocoding to work, so now I have one worksheet with a 10-county municipality map, with each municipality color-coded by a variable. Right now I am stuck on how to make the map change colors dynamically, based off of the variables in the drop-down menu. Can I set up a parameter to do this somehow?

Thanks!
              Cathy

• 4. Re: Newbie here...custom filled map from shapefile question
                Chris McClellan

I don't think you need a parameter to make this work.

Check the attachment (and the awesome datafile )

Sheet2 - only has Value on Color, so everything is a shade of green (or that ONE colour that you choose)

Sheet3 - I converted Value to Discrete, so I can put Measure & Value on Color and now I can have a completely different colour spectrum for each measure.

I've used the automagically assigned colours, so it might be a bit different when you try to assign the exact colours you want.

Let me know how you go

• 5. Re: Newbie here...custom filled map from shapefile question
                  Catherine Tulley

We are still on 9.0 but are getting upgraded this week. I'll look at your workbook once we're upgraded to 9.2, and see if I can replicate it. Will post back with more details! Thanks again for your help.

• 6. Re: Newbie here...custom filled map from shapefile question
                    Catherine Tulley

Hey Chris,

I forgot all about replying to this thread! I just wanted to post an update....it took some fiddling, but I was finally able to get that map to work. I ended up using this tool from Alteryx to convert my shapefile to Tableau: Alteryx Analytics Gallery It worked much better than the ET GeoWizards tool that I was using in ArcMap. Once I set up the custom shapes to draw properly, I ended up using a parameter+calculated field to control the map, so now the color range is automatically applied for the whole map, sort of like what you showed me in your workbook.

Thanks for your help!