3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 5:29 PM by Gerardo Varela

how to create the parallel coordinates as demonstrated by Joe Mako

Joe Smith

I downloaded Joe's example of parallel coordinates, but I can't figure out how it is made.

| Tableau Public

Can anybody kindly advise?

Thank you!

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: how to create the parallel coordinates as demonstrated by Joe Mako
          Gerardo Varela

The main formula in Joe’s example is his norm formula:

(MIN([Measure]

)-TOTAL(MIN([Measure]

)))/(TOTAL(MAX([Measure]

))-TOTAL(MIN([Measure]

)))

So from the sample store data let’s make a copy of Sales and edit the formula as so:

Do the same for profit and quantify.

Now drag measure names to the columns shelf right click -> edit filter.  Let’s just keep the copies we created earlier.

Now drag measure values to the rows shelf and then Order ID to the details shelf. You’ll get a nice bar chart.  Let’s change the bar to a line.

Now we start to see the wizardry behind Joe’s mind. 

Let’s add some color. Drag measure values to the color shelf and edit the color.

Now let’s adjust the line size.

I hope this is enough to get you started! 

Regards,

Gerardo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to create the parallel coordinates as demonstrated by Joe Mako
            Joe Smith

Dear Gerardo, Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

I created a simple example with the steps illustrated on Tableau Public:

https://public.tableau.com/shared/CDZ6H5ZPC?:display_count=yes

My understanding is that the calculated field created for each measure variable using Joe Mako's formula is to "normalize or map" the different values of that variable on to a scale of 0 to 1, with the minimum value been mapped as "0" and the maximum value been mapped as "1" and each of the rest values is give a value between 0 to 1 proportionally.

Please kindly advise if I understand it correctly.

Thank you, again!

Capture.PNG

• 3. Re: how to create the parallel coordinates as demonstrated by Joe Mako
              Gerardo Varela

You got gist of it.  Best thing about these workbooks is taking them apart and putting them back together.  I hadn't seen Joe's workbook until you posted your question, so thank you.

If you really want to know what the formula is doing break it down to it's single parts. If you need more help please post back.

Regards,

Gerardo