9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 9:20 AM by Vicki West

'College Compare', an IPEDS Dashboard

Rina Bongsu-Petersen

I'd like to share with you the 'Collage Compare', a dashboard based on IPEDS data. I created it last year (with last year data), It has now been updated with the most recent IPEDS data (Fall 2014)

A quick summary about 'College Compare': 

• This tool displays schools based on two IPEDS variables on the same time and ranks the schools based on the selected variables. This allows users to rank schools by tuition (as an example) and on the same screen, users will be able to see how the schools rank by graduation rate or tnet price (for example).
      • The dashboard also has a scatter plot which is a good way to show relationship between the two variables. Does high tuition mean high net price (example).
      • The 'Different Color' feature allows users to distinguish their selected school from the crowd by typing the name of the school that they're interested in. 
      • Users also have ability to customize the view by region, state, size and type of institution.

Not all variables collected by IPEDS are presented here. I selected a few variables that are used frequently, most of them are related to instructions. Some finance variables are available too, but mainly for private institutions.

Feel free to share to others. If you have any thoughts and suggestions, pls don't hesitate to share with me. Would love to exchange ideas.

And if you'd like to expand this dashboard, add more features, etc. that would be even better. :-)

Thank you.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/rina.b.petersen#!/vizhome/CollegeCompareIPEDS/CollegeCompare

Rina Petersen

Director of Strategic Analytics

DePaul University