7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 2:03 PM by John Kuo

Unable to create new projects on tableau server

Christian Wilke

Hi everyone,

I wanted to create a new project on tableau server, but got the following error message:

"An error occured while creating the project. Please try again"

I am serveradmin so I should be able to create projects.

So are my colleagues, but they encounter the same error message.

Since the message doesn't specify the error/problem, I don't know where I should start investigating.

This error occured for the first time, we were able to create several projects on the server in the past.

I really hope you guys can help me out!

Thank you!

Christian

• 1. Re: Unable to create new projects on tableau server
          Nathan Panuco

Hi Christian!

Has there been any changes in the Tableau Server environment? I've seen previous cases where a failed server upgrade can cause permissions issues. Are there any other symptoms?

What version of Tableau Server are you using?

Can you provide a screenshot of the error?

This might be a case for Tableau Technical Support

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Unable to create new projects on tableau server
            John Kuo

What version is your Tableau Server instance? Did you upgrade recently? From which version?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Unable to create new projects on tableau server
              Christian Wilke

Yes, we've updated the server from 9.0 to 9.2 about a month ago, without any problems.

Apart from the create projects issue, we are not able to add single users in the permissions window of single views (it works fine for projects and workbooks).

The dropdown menu where you can chose between groups and users is missing.

I've already sent an email to tableau support regarding the permissions issue, but I didn't see any link between these issues.

Here's a screenshot of the error message I receive whenever I try to create a new project:

tbserver error.PNG

Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Unable to create new projects on tableau server
                Nathan Panuco

Hi Christian!

Thanks for that screenshot and additional details. Have you been able to create projects since the upgrade? If the answer is "no" I would highly suspect this is related to that permissions error. I would suggest adding this information to your existing case with Tableau Technical Support.The ability to create projects is restricted based on user permissions in Tableau Server and if there is a separate case opened about permissions already, it is likely related to the cause of those errors.

If the answer is "yes" you have been able to create projects since the last upgrade, I would recommend opening a NEW case with Tableau Technical Support including this screenshot and the symptoms. I would also note you have another case that is being worked.

Thanks and hope this helps guide your next steps!

• 5. Re: Unable to create new projects on tableau server
                  Stefan Hurley

Hi Christian,

Are the projects created on the default site, or another site?

I have another customer that was experiencing a similar issue. In order to see if the two issues are the same, we would need to take a look at the Server log files.

While I agree that the error is most definitely permissions related, I don't know if the two errors experience are linked.

If you haven't already, please open a new Tech Support case, and I'll be happy to look in to it further.

Thanks,

Stefan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Unable to create new projects on tableau server
                    Manjula Raj

I'm using Tableau server version 9.0.5 and having Site Administrator permission. I'm also getting the same error message  "An error occurred while creating this project. Try again." while creating a new project.

If anyone know the solution please share with me.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Unable to create new projects on tableau server
                      John Kuo

Tableau Server's internal postgres db stores content/user metadata. I wonder if it's corrupted? You can check and verify the db's integrity but the function is only available for v9.3 and above

Verify the Tableau Postgres Database