2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 5:10 AM by Ben Neville

Sync quick filter with previous filter selection

lukasz.c

Hi,

I got a problem with syncing quick filters in my dashboard. Please see attached example:

https://public.tableau.com/views/country_example/Dashboard1?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y

The problem is that when I select different "Country" from quick filter list - "Make" filter is not updating according Country selection. Does anyone had similar problem with it ?

any help would be appreciated

CountryMake
      Polandaaa
      Polandbbb
      Polandccc
      USAddd
      USAeee
      USAfff
      Australiaggg
      Australiahhh
      Australiaiii
      Germanyjjj
      Germanykkk
      Germanylll
        • 1. Re: Sync quick filter with previous filter selection
          Shinichiro Murakami

Lukasz,

I think the reason is below.

The previous filtering of "Make" [(aaa) in this case] is affecting to "Country" filter.

I mean once you pick "All" in "Make" filter, "Australia" filter works to bring ggg,hhh andiii.

I just quick searched how to reset filter and found below.

Reset Filters in Tableau Desktop

Thanks,

Shin

• 2. Re: Sync quick filter with previous filter selection
            Ben Neville

Your filter IS actually updating, it's just not updating the current selection. Here's an example:

1. Select All from Make

2. Select Germany from Country

3. Click the drop-down for Make. You should see jjj, kkk, and lll

4. Change Country selection to Australia

5. Now select the drop-down for Make. You should see ggg, hhh, and iii

The filter will always update, and the only time it will not show any data is if you select a specific Make and then change to a country without the selected Make. If you click the drop-down for the filter, however, you will see it has updated for the values that belong to the selected Country. The filter will not automatically assume that you want the current value changed, as you have specifically picked a selection (aaa in your published example). Until you pick a different value from the list, or select the All button again, what's in your view will not show data.