4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 11:18 PM by Mark Fraser

Export workbook as .twbx using tabcmd

Amanjot Klair

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to export the complete workbook as .twbx using tabcmd command. I know it is possible to export the workbook as pdf using tabcmd export #/WorkbookName "WorkbookName/AnyValidDashboardName" --fullpdf. But is it also possible to download the same as packaged workbook? If yes how do i go ahead with it?

-Amanjot

• 1. Re: Export workbook as .twbx using tabcmd
          Mark Fraser

Hi Amanjot

I use the get command

tabcmd Commands

An example of my batch file

Cheers

Mark

• 2. Re: Export workbook as .twbx using tabcmd
            Mark Fraser

The initial part is the login, then the export then logout

The final section is when I email... using blat, all from the batch file

This maybe helpful (in conjunction with my example)

https://www.interworks.com/blog/ktreadwell/2012/09/07/automating-dashboard-delivery-using-tabcmd

Cheers

Mark

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Export workbook as .twbx using tabcmd
              Amanjot Klair

Thank you Mark. This worked very well.

Though i have a question. If i apply a filter to one of the dimension in the data my .twbx file is still huge as it has entire data embeded. Is it possible to filter data and then have it exported into .twbx file so that only relevant data is there. My extract is huge hence i don't want to share a huge workbook with users.

-Amanjot

• 4. Re: Export workbook as .twbx using tabcmd
                Mark Fraser

Is it possible to filter data and then have it exported into .twbx file so that only relevant data is there. My extract is huge hence i don't want to share a huge workbook with users.

Hi Amanjot

The only way, would be when you initially create the extract, to hide, or aggregate the data in some way.

(as far as I know) When you export the workbook from Server, even with a filter applied, the full data set is downloaded. I suspect this is because Tableau would prefer your end users to consume the reports via Server (so they can sell you licenses) but the upside for the you, the client, is you have more security options as well as the other benefits of having the workbook web based, you can also refresh etc etc.

The obvious, if slightly irritating workaround, would be to create unique workbooks, with only that data inside, you may have to have multiple, but you can then upload, download and share without issue. By adding multiple get commands, you can still do the export/ send in a single batch file, so no extra work, the downside is you have to create and maintain multiple workbooks rather than 1.

Hope something there helps, maybe someone will jump  in with an alternative...

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful