4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 6:23 AM by Iael Klaczko

waterfall chart

Iael Klaczko

Hi!

I've been trying to replicate a waterfall chart I usually do with Excel in Tableau and I can't figure it out how to do it.

I have a planned budget for the year 2015 and what I want to do it's to compare it with the real expenditure, so I graph that as a waterfall where I have two big bars, one with the total amount planned to spend in the year and the other with the total amount effectively spent in the year, and in the middle the categories that makes the actual expenditure to be the planned one.

Here an image of my Excel workbook, anyone that has some idea please just tell me, I've tried several ways but no one was useful.

waterfall chart.JPG

Thanks!

iae

• 1. Re: waterfall chart
          Tina Hauser

Hi iae!

Please reference this post: Waterfall Chart

Someone had a similar question and I provided information and a workbook on how to do this. Part of it is how the data is structured as well. If you have questions about anything in that link, please let me know.

Thanks!

Tina

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: waterfall chart
            Iael Klaczko

Hi Tina!

Thanks for the post, I've been trying to do the same that's in your workbook but I can't. I think it's because of the structure of my data.

I have two different data sources, one is a DB and the other an xlsx. In the DB I have all the current spend and in the xlsx the plan for the year.

I don't know how to do with this data to get to the waterfall I want. I attach a packaged workbook so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

iae

• 3. Re: waterfall chart
              Tina Hauser

Is it Ce Co all that joins your data sources together? If so, I can't tell from Sheet 1 how you'd get plan for concepto since that dimension isn't in your plan data source. In that case, I'd suggest a query to join these 2 data sources and calculate the differences before you get the data into Tableau.

Otherwise if there is a way to link this data you could also join it when you bring it into Tableau but I'd need more info about how these fields are related before I could suggest how to do that in this case.

Once it's in Tableau, then you can create the waterfall similar to Sheet 2 in the attached workbook. I used the info from the first picture you included in your question to get these numbers and illustrate how it might work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: waterfall chart
                Iael Klaczko

Yes, the Ce Co joins the data, but concepto too. I forgot to include that field when I edit the data to attach the example, sorry.

I keep trying to get to the waterfall you create in Sheet 2, but I can't. I don't have a dimension like Type, the one you have in Sheet 2 and I can't figure out what to do about that.

Maybe another problems are that:

- I have to blend both data sources (the one that has the plan and the one that has the actual expenditure) because one is an excel file and one is a connection to a DB

- My years are the same. I want to compare the planned expenditure for the year 2015 with the actual expenditure in the year 2015

- I have two different measures that are needed to graph what I want, the total amount that comes from the actual expenditure and the total amount that was planned. And I need that only the total amount of actual expenditure

I attach another packaged workbook with the concepto field in both sources, I copy both sheets in the same excel file this time despite I'm not going to do it like that cause are different type of data sources.

Thanks for all your help!