2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 4:12 AM by Venu Babu Kolasani

How to change extract?

Dyna Lee

Hello everybody

I have created Analysis, firstly using a SQL-Statement and live Connection to the Oracle Server.

Later i changed the Connection from "live" to extract.

With another script I refresh the extract every night.

When I open the twb-file somehow it doesn't take the new extract (same Name, same save-place, etc.). I don't know from where Tableau takes the data but it seems that it takes the "old" extract, that no longer exists. because when i click on tab "data source" it wants to connect with the Server and Show completely other data.

My question is also: how to tell Tableau user "another extract" (with the same Name, same save-place, etc.?)?

Best regards

• 1. Re: How to change extract?
          Jaideep Rokade

Hello,

Try this,

1. If you have a .twbx file, convert the .twbx file to a .twb file using one of the following methods:
            • In Tableau Desktop, open the packaged workbook (.twbx file), and then select File > Save As. Under Save as type, select Tableau Workbook (*.twb).
            • In Windows Explorer, right-click the .twbx file, and then select Unpackage.
          2. In Tableau Desktop, open the .twb file, and then select Data > <data source name> > Extract > Remove.
          3. Select Just remove the extract, and then click OK.
          4. Select  Data > <data source name> > Extract Data, and then click Extract.
          5. Select the desired location, and then click Save.

Hope that helps for you.

• 2. Re: How to change extract?
            Venu Babu Kolasani

Hi Dyna,

Tableau sometimes creates extract in the Temporary folders: (%temp%). You can also find the location of the extract by right clicking on it, --->Extract-->Location.

You can follow the steps mentioned by Jaideep, to change the location of the extract before you do next refresh.

Thanks,

Venu