Welcome to Tableau!
You would create a new field using a calculation to turn to number into text.
Bill Schuetz wrote:
For example: 0= Latino, 1= Black, 2= Pacific Islander, etc.
You have already started above
What you need is the syntax - I would use a CASE statement (you could also use IF)
It would look something like this...
CASE [your number field]
WHEN '0' THEN 'Latino'
WHEN '1' THEN 'Black'
WHEN '2' THEN 'Pacific Islander'
ELSE NULL //you don't need this, but if everything fails, at least you'll get nulls rather than numbers
You then use this new field in place of the old number field - in filters etc.
Hope that's clear, if you have any questions please let me know
I am using a sample numeric data for representing the condition
1) Step 1: Create a Parameter by using the Numeric field something like below. Display the Value as you needed.
2) Then Create a calculated Field by using the Parameter name which you created in above step.
3) Drag this calculated Field into the detail shelf and select Edit Alias option.
4) Change the value as per your need.
5) Drag this calculated Field in the Filter Shelf and you will see the changed name.