2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 11:36 PM by Karan Ganesh

Extract Data vs Refresh

Karan Ganesh

When using TDE there are 2 options called as Extract Data and Refresh(under Extract option). Please let me know the difference between the two. And with using a TDE i want import records from the database of customers with age only above 31 and not below. My data extract should only have records of customer with age > 31. Please help me, very confused with using filters in TDE.

• 1. Re: Extract Data vs Refresh
          L B

Hi Karan,

Regarding your first Q, here is some detail that might help.

When you choose "Extract Data", Tableau is loading the data from your source into a Tableau format (called TDE). At this point, you have a copy of your data in this format (TDE)

When you click, Refresh under the Extract option, you are requesting Tableau to re-create the TDE using the source data. So, at this point, if you have newer data in your source, it will also show up in your TDE.

Regarding your second Q, if you would like the TDE to only import the data with age > 31, you can use the filter option when requesting the extract. This will ensure that the data is filtered when creating the extract.

If you do not use this option, and have already created the extract, you can use the "Data Source Filter" option, but this will only filter the data for display purposes. The TDE still has the unwanted records.

You should re-create the extract if you want limited dataset in the TDE

hope this helps

Lovekesh

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Extract Data vs Refresh
            Karan Ganesh

Thanks a Lot. This is exactly what i wanted to understand. Thank You.