7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 6:35 AM by Toby Erkson

Exporting Tableau Products data from Tableau Server

Jaroslaw Suchanek

Hi,

I would like to export data related to Tableau Products from Tableau Server: project names, product names, owners etc.

I could not find any way to do that from Tableau Server and I was forced to copy paste to excel.

Is there better way to do that? Preferably in less manual, more automatic way.

Additionally, is there a way to add Product Owners to products? I am not talking about users who uploaded files, but real Product Owners, who often never develop in Tableau and are only responsible for requirements.

Kind regards,

Jarek

• 1. Re: Exporting Tableau Products data from Tableau Server
          Vien Hua

Hello Jaroslaw, I am not sure I understand 100% of what you are trying to achieve but it sounds like you want to connect to the Tableau Server's internal Postgres database so that you can grab this information (such as who owns what project/workbooks, etc).

To do this, you'll have to first enable access to the Tableau Server internal Postgres database. Then connect to the database using Tableau Desktop (or any SQL language). You'll have to kind of play around with the tables in the Postgres database to get what you want. But I'm sure you can achieve your goal with this method.

Vien

• 2. Re: Exporting Tableau Products data from Tableau Server
            Jaroslaw Suchanek

Hello Vien,

Thank you for your ideas!

To be more precise, I have just become responsible of Tableau Products Lifecycle Management.

I am looking for a way to export and refresh data to Tableau Desktop or at least Excel.

Ideally I would like to have a table with Tableau products names, Tableau Server project names, Tableau Server product owners, number of users with access to each product, real product owner names (not person who uploaded Tableau product, but person who created idea and requirements).

We have over 150 Tableau products and I am looking for easy way to manage communication between me and product owners to ensure that only valid products are maintained on our server.

Kind regards,

Jarek

• 3. Re: Exporting Tableau Products data from Tableau Server
              Toby Erkson

You keep using the word "products" but I think you are using it incorrectly.  Proper terminology is necessary for any job so people understand exactly what you want to communicate so I'm not being pedantic here.

Tableau has the following main products that we deal with here in the forums:

Desktop

Reader

Server

API/SDK

With the Tableau Server, here are the following terminology words commonly used:

Site

Project

Workbook

View or Sheet

Group

User

Data Source

Schedule

Task

Permissions

Roles

Authentication

Cores

Licensing

Also, try to keep to a single question per thread so it's easier to follow and get to a solution quickly.

Regarding your first question:

I would like to export data related to Tableau Products from Tableau Server: project names, product names, owners etc.

I could not find any way to do that from Tableau Server and I was forced to copy paste to excel.

Is there better way to do that? Preferably in less manual, more automatic way.

Read about Custom Administration Views.  This is where you can pull everything you need at a broad level and almost everything you need at a detail level.  You really need to read the entire manual (luckily it's not huge).

As for your second question:

Additionally, is there a way to add Product Owners to products? I am not talking about users who uploaded files, but real Product Owners, who often never develop in Tableau and are only responsible for requirements.

I don't understand what you want to do so we need more details.  If you just want to give people the ability to view and interact with reports then you simply add them to the Tableau Server and make sure the Project and/or Workbook has the appropriate permissions on it to allow them to do so.

• 4. Re: Exporting Tableau Products data from Tableau Server
                Jaroslaw Suchanek

Thank you Toby,

To clarify, by product I mean Workbook.

Regarding first question - thank you I will read it.

Regarding second question. In my company there are Product Owners and Product Developers. Product Owners is someone with idea for dashboard / report, however he/she is not Tableau Developer. Product Developer is equal to Tableau Developer. Therefore in Tableau Server we are missing information about people responsible for requirements. We can only see who uploaded Workbook and it is not very relevant to us.

Kind regards,

Jarek

• 5. Re: Exporting Tableau Products data from Tableau Server
                  Toby Erkson

Your second question first:  There is no need to store extraneous information regarding reporting which is why the equivalent of your Product Owner isn't a Role (e.g., Interactor, Publisher, Server Administrator, etc.) so there is no built-in ability for this.  Server is all about reporting, nothing more.  So that's the bad news for you

For your first question I have a question:  What DBA and/or programming and/or server experience do you have and for how long have you actively used it?

• 6. Re: Exporting Tableau Products data from Tableau Server
                    Jaroslaw Suchanek

First question first - I am Tableau Designer and Developer with strong background with QlikView and Excel, however I have no server experience. This is totally new ground for me .

Second question - there is work around, I can assign tags with names of Product Owners for each Tableau Workbook, this way we will at least have some information in Tableau Server. I am not sure though if it is easy to export list of Workbooks with tags.

• 7. Re: Exporting Tableau Products data from Tableau Server
                      Toby Erkson

I don't use Tags but that is a really good idea for one of their uses!   Nice work-around

It's good you have additional skills with BI tools.  If you don't have a strong grasp of SQL then you need to know it.  You don't have to concern yourself with INSERT, DELETE and the other table authoring commands, the only SQL statement you need to concern yourself with when dealing with the Tableau Server is SELECT.  This is the one SQL statement that is a must-know for good report developers -- as a skill for a Tableau Administrator I would consider it a requirement*.  Naturally, there are many commands that are in a SELECT statement and their use/syntax can vary a little bit throughout the different SQL implementations but basically if you know SQL for one product then you know it for all.

Like you I am not trained as a server person.  My background is BI tools/development and programming/application development.  So I've been learning about server management these last couple years and am getting better as time goes on.  I do have a really good grasp of SQL, having used it for years, so that helps me when it comes to playing with Tableau Server and the syntax of the Postgre SQL.  Reading the admin guide is the best place to start, honestly.

*This is just my personal opinion because Tableau Server is really easy to use so it's not actually necessary for basic stuff.