2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 8:03 AM by Bryan Mills

Using a parameter to select a bin

Bryan Mills

I have several columns containing scores of various tests with values 1, 2 or 3 and I've created bins for each as it works nicely as a pie chart. I'd like to have a parameter control select which bin to display in a certain visualization, which is a pie chart. I thought I could simply write an IF statement like this for a new calculated field called "ELA Claim Target" but it throws an error. This is my first attempt at using bins and I may be coming at this from the complete wrong angle so I thought I'd see if I could get some guidance.

Here's the calculated field that throws an error.

IF [ELA Claim Select]="Claim 1"

THEN [ELA Claim 1 (bin)]

ELSEIF [ELA Claim Select]="Claim 2"

THEN [ELA Claim 2 (bin)]

END

I've attached a sample with the data which should be pretty easy to understand.

I guess I can swap sheets on the dashboard with the parameter but I'd prefer to find a simpler solution as there are 7 different "claims" as I describe above and the # of sheets in this workbook is already super high and I'd like to streamline it a bit more.

Does anyone have a solution for how I can change which bin is displayed on a viz or if this is even possible? If it's not a relatively quick/simple solution any other ways you'd suggest to do this? Thanks!