1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 6:43 AM by Norbert Maijoor

Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)

siva goberu

Hi,

how to calculate remaining days in a month .

I have two parameter controls start date and end date .

when the user select a range of dates(Start date-- 11/5/2015  End date ---11/10/2012) from start date and end date.

how can i calculate remaining days (11/1/2015 to 11/4/2015   and 11/11/2015 to 11/30/2015)

Regards,

Siva G

• 1. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
          Shanaka Gunaratna

Hi Siva

Create two parameters FromDate and ToDate

Then create a calculation field and add following

// Count from Fist day of the month to FromDate - 1

DATEDIFF ('day', DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month', -1, DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month',1,[ToDate])) )), [FromDate])

+

// Count from To Date + 1 To End of the Month

DATEDIFF ('day', dateadd('day', 1, [ToDate]), DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month',1,[ToDate]))-1)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
            Norbert Maijoor

Hi Siva!

Find my approach in attached workbook in version 9.0. A "'pre-requisit" is that all calendar-days schould be available in applicable database.

days untill.png

• 3. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
              siva goberu

Hi  shanaka.,

Thanks for the quick response .

The formula which u have sent is giving the total days between (From date  to  To date) Parameter controls

Example:

From date(1/10/2015)         To Date( 1/15/2015)

5 days

i need the remaining days for the month a part from the user selected dates from (From date  to  To date) Parameter controls

25 days

Can u please try to send the required result

Regards,

Siva G

• 4. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                Shanaka Gunaratna

Hi Siva

I think my solution provide the result which your after. Did you checked my packaged work book (attached with original reply)

Shanaka

• 5. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                  siva goberu

Hi Shanaka,

Remaindays in month.png

i checked your worksheet but its not giving the result what i am looking for.

Please check the mail which i have earlier sent u.

i need remaining days of the month

Regards,

Siva G

• 6. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                    Tableau kumar

Hi,

if you want to see remaining days in the month, use the following syntax.

datediff('day', [Order Date], dateadd('day', -1,  datetrunc( 'month', dateadd('month', 1, [Order Date]))))

I did not check syntax whether it is having enough braces.

The following link may help you. It is not exact solution for your situation but may useful.

Tableau BI: How to get the Last Day of the Given Date Data.

Best Regards

Kumar

• 7. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                      siva goberu

Hi Kumar,

find the remaining days depending upon the user selection of dates from Parameter controls(FROM DATE(Start Dates) , TO DATE (End Dates))

I calculated days count of days between FROM DATE to TO DATE by using formula in the Calculation field named (Days  FROM DATE to TODATE)

DATEDIFF ('day', DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month', -1, DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month',1,[Start Dates])) )), [End Dates])

+

DATEDIFF ('day', dateadd('day', 1, [Start Dates]), DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month',1,[End Dates]))-1)

I calculated Total no of days in a month by using formula in the calculation field named (Total no of days in amonth)

DATEDIFF('day',min([Dates]),min(dateadd('month',1,[Dates])) )

Now i created new calculatin field named remainning days

(Total no of days in amonth - Days  FROM DATE to TODATE)

But the calculation field remaining days not giving the exact result .

Can u please help me.

Regards,

Siva G

• 8. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                        siva goberu

Hi shanaka,

find the remaining days depending upon the user selection of dates from Parameter controls(FROM DATE(Start Dates) , TO DATE (End Dates))

I calculated days count of days between FROM DATE to TO DATE by using formula in the Calculation field named (Days  FROM DATE to TODATE)

DATEDIFF ('day', DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month', -1, DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month',1,[Start Dates])) )), [End Dates])

+

DATEDIFF ('day', dateadd('day', 1, [Start Dates]), DATETRUNC('month',DATEADD('month',1,[End Dates]))-1)

I calculated Total no of days in a month by using formula in the calculation field named (Total no of days in amonth)

Now i created new calculatin field named remainning days

(Total no of days in amonth - Days  FROM DATE to TODATE)

Can u please help me.

• 9. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                          Tableau kumar

I have created calculated field using the DATE FIELD directly, and you can replace it by Parameter, This Parameter makes User can select the Date.

1) If you want to see remaining days in the month, use the following syntax.

Name: No. of days left in the Month - Selected Date

Syntax: datediff('day', [Date Parameter], dateadd('day', -1,  datetrunc( 'month', dateadd('month', 1,[Date Parameter]))))

2) If you want to know total No. of days in the month with respect to selected date, use the following syntax.

Name: Total no. of Days in the Given Month

Syntax: datepart('day', [Date Parameter]) + [ No. of days left in the Month - Selected Date]) -1

• 10. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                            siva goberu

Hi Norbert,

Example:

I created two parameter controls FROMDATE and TODATE

From date  (Parameter control)

To date (Parameter control)

i need the remaining days of the month when the user selects:

From date(1/10/2015)         To Date( 1/15/2015)  ------ 5 days

i need the remaining days for the month a part from the user selected dates from (From date  to  To date) Parameter controls

25 days

Can u please try to send the required result

Regards,

Siva G

• 11. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                              Norbert Maijoor

Siva!

I will check and update you a.s.a.p.

Have a nice day!

• 12. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                                Norbert Maijoor

Good morning Siva!

The following. I hope I can explain my attemps clearly.

I defined 3 indicators

a. FROMDATE untill End of Month

b. TODATE untill End of Month

c. FROMDATE untill TODATE

The FROMDATE & TODATE are based on a Parameter.

"End of Month" is defined based on LOD expression {fixed [Order Date (Month / Year)]: max([Order Date])}

To be honest with you I do not understand your last sentence:

25 days

Could you elaborate once again on what you are aiming for?

Siva.png

Look forward hearing from you.Have a nice day

• 13. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                                  siva goberu

Hi Norbert,

Please check the image for clear understanding.

I have two parameters -1. Start dates 2. End dates

I created 1 st calculation field  named (Days between start date and End date) to count days  selected by the user from parameter controls--( Start dates and  End dates -----------11/1/2015 and 11/17/2015)

Formula:

+

I created 2nd Calculation field  named (Total no of days in a month)

Formula:

Now i created 3 rd calculation field named (Remain days in a month)

Formula:

(Total no of days in a month) - (Days between start date and End date)

The result i shown you in Red box in the image

Can u please help me.

Remaining days.png

• 14. Re: Remaining days calculation  (Start date and End date)
                                    Norbert Maijoor

Siva!

I think I have got the indicators but it is far from perfect;)

a. Days in month is based on the FROMDATE

b. The calculation is only valid when FROMDATE & TODATE is selected in one month.

c.The TODATE should be "filtered" (Only relevant Values") based on FROMDATE selection.

siva3.png

Let me know your feedback

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next