6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 4:07 PM by cor.bader

Calculate load time of a workbook for different users

Anu Swami

My requirement is to capture load time of same workbook for different end users.

For example: there is one workbook hosted on tableau server and there are 50 users for this workbook. I want to see how much time this workbook takes to load for these users each day.

Is it possible to calculate loading/rendering time of a workbook or view for different users using Tableau server logs on PostgreSQL.

• 1. Re: Calculate load time of a workbook for different users
          John Kuo

Hi Anu,

Tableau's postgres does not store workbook load time info for individual users by defaul -- you can probably do some custom SQL to figure it out. Check out Workgroup DatabaseData Dictionary to see all available database tables in postgres.

The closest thing I can think of is performance recording for views. You can do this for both server and desktop. Check out these links for more info:

Server

Create a Performance Recording

Desktop

Create a Performance Recording

Best,

John

• 2. Re: Calculate load time of a workbook for different users
            John Kuo

12-15-2015 12-18-41 PM.jpgI just realized Tableau Server v9.0+ has built-in custom views for "Stats for Load Time" that may be helpful(?) Just log on to Tableau Serve > status > Traffic to views

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Calculate load time of a workbook for different users
              cor.bader

Please use the below method if you are familiar with creating custom admin views.

Use the following community link in order to make copy of the following tabbed_admin_view.twb to your local machine.  Please make sure to copy and not remove it from its location on Server:

Tableau Admin views downloads

1. Once you have opened the workbook and entered in your postgres repository credentials select the 'Stats for Load Times' dashboard.

See the following online help doc to setup postgres repository credentials: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#adminview_postgres.htm

2. Change the time range in the filter to show the amount of time needed.

3. Go to the 'What is the Extact Load Time For Views?' sheet from the dashboard.

4. Drag the 'Name' field from the _users table onto the rows shelf.

And you should be done.  See attached screenshot.

Note: it is recommended to do this during off peak times or to create an extract during off peak times to do offline anlaysis as querying the repository can cause performance issues for Tableau Server.

load_stats_for_users.jpg

• 4. Re: Calculate load time of a workbook for different users
                Dinesh Prabu Viswanathan

Hi COR,

we are doing an tracking of the total load time of views on a historical basis. every quarter, every year etc. I have created a extract version of the admin workbook and doing an incremental refresh every day to keep the history.

with 6 months of history data available, the workbook is taking longer to load and i am unable to view it most of the time.

I would like to improve the view load time of the workbook.

I simply need data on site names vs sum(view load time) with a time filter to track.

But i see mutiple fields used in the table calculation and i am unable to edit it. when it edit any of the table calculation, it breaks the report.

for example, when i remove the view name from Rows shelf, the report stops.

Can you Please assist.

• 5. Re: Calculate load time of a workbook for different users
                  cor.bader

Hi Dinesh!

I hope you are well.

I would like to improve the view load time of the workbook.

I simply need data on site names vs sum(view load time) with a time filter to track.

Is the goal to aggregate the avg sum for an entire site?  Sorry, wasn't 100% sure.

But i see mutiple fields used in the table calculation and i am unable to edit it. when it edit any of the table calculation, it breaks the report.

for example, when i remove the view name from Rows shelf, the report stops.

Can you Please assist.

Table calcs are based on the level of detail (or the data currently being displayed in the view), so if the table calculation uses a field, removing the field will break the view. 

After confirming the goal, I can try and see if it can be accomplished. 

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Calculate load time of a workbook for different users
                    cor.bader

Hi Dinesh,

I was able to re-pro the description given when removing the 'View Name' from the 'Stats for Load Times' sheet. 

The table calc does break because it is computing on the 'view name' field, however if you right click on the table calc in the view and select 'Edit Table Calculation' then select 'Advance' you should be able to remove the 'view name' field from 'addressing'

Please see the section 'Advance' in the following online help doc:

onlinehelp.tableau.com/v9.3/pro/online/windows/en-us/help.htm#calculations_tablecalculations_understanding_addressing.html