4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 12:54 PM by Fabio Idalgo

Dynamic Dashboard Size

Chris Bennert

I am working on a dashboard to show contract information. I have a list with basic details (ie name) that includes a filter action to show more in-depth detail (the action defaults to blank when the filter isn't in use). The problem, when nothing is selected it leaves a large blank white space. Is there a way to make the dashboard size change based on the filter? Meaning, if I selected something the dashboard will expand in height to show the detail and when the filter isn't in use shrink in height to not have an empty area. 

• 1. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Size
          KK Molugu

Chris:

Not that I am aware of..

..kk

• 2. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Size
            Fabio Idalgo

Chris Bennett,

make sure the solution below helps.

All credits are Joe Mako who created this technique. I'm looking for the item so find I share here.

The solution consists of a to create a parameter with two options: view or not display the spreadsheet / chart you want. Then you create a calculated field with the contents of your display parameter = yes. This field will calculated as a filter in your spreadsheet, what time do not want to display time.

The final trick is to place a container, vertically or horizontally on your dashboard, and put the graphics there, which will appear to have according to the parameter, and below.

In my example, I have a measure of control in this dashboard, which determines whether or not will display the Line Graph (Evolução Semanal in Portuguese)

1 - Show weekly progress chart. Check that the right parameter "Evolução Semanal? "(Evolution of the Week?) is equal to "Sim" (Yes)

1 - Mostrar Evolução.png

2 - Do not show the weekly evolution chart

2 - Não Mostrar Evolução.png

3 - Parameter

3 - Parâmetro.png

4 - Calculated FieldimageFile.png

5 - Filter in the spreadsheet = Yes

imageFile.png

6 - Filter in the spreadsheet = No

imageFile.png

Thank you

Fabio Idalgo

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Size
              Chris Bennert

Not exactly what I was trying to accomplish....but I think as close as I can get with the capabilities of Tableau. Thanks for your help, I can make that work for what I am trying to do.

• 4. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Size
                Fabio Idalgo

It would be interesting you forward an explanatory screen or print the file so that we can understand better.

thank you

Fabio Idalgo