1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 8:49 AM by Ryan Eavey

How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?

Grace Xu

Hello everyone,

This is Grace from Tableau. I'm wondering how many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?

Thank you,

Grace

• 1. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
          james.diaz

about 28 sheets in my most used workbook. generally i go up to about 6-8 when im exploring data/experimenting. when im finished working on a workbook, and its ready for a presentation or some other application for someone else, i usually leave the dashboard tabs and hide everything else.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
            Shawn Wallwork

For me as a consultant it's hard to determine 'most used' workbooks. But I do notice that most of my clients tend to hide all worksheet, and only show/publish dashboards. I think the most dashboards I've ever seen in one of their workbooks is 30 maybe 35.

Why do you ask? What is it you are actually trying to determine? Just curious.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
              Chris McClellan

Same as Shawn in regards to hiding all the sheets and only leaving the dashboards visible.

My "worst" workbook had just over 150 sheets, ONE dashboard and a lot of sheet swapping ... not the traditional dashboard with graphs/charts though, it was all tiny infographics and trend indicators on a 1024x768 dashboard.

My "best" workbook had about 8 sheets (similar functionality to above - no graphs, just trend indicators and single numbers), with a table to support it with only a few thousand rows of data.

• 4. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                Daniel Vincent

I'll average around 30 sheets per workbook.  My most heavily used workbooks are KPI health dashboards which contains over 100 sheets each. 

• 5. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                  Rody Zakovich

Hey Grace,

Much like Daniel, my larger "Executive Level", KPI Health like Workbooks can contain upwards of 100 Sheets  which are dispersed among several/several dashboards.

That said, it really depends on the number of Dashboards I have in a workbook, as I try to limit the number of sheets on a Dashboard to 3 - 6.

As far as what is hidden, I try to hide any worksheet that is being used in a Dashboard and leave any worksheets that I use for testing/quality. That way when I open the workbook, I only see the dashboards/worksheets that are relevant, so it makes navigation easier. I do this for organization because we don't yet have the ability to group sheets (Tabs) into sub-folder like structures.

Re-referencing Kettan's Idea post, because this is one I really wish we can get this type of feature(s).

Re: TFD #11: Johan's Ideas Collections

Is this question being asked for a possible new feature?

Regards,

Rody

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                    Grace Xu

At Tableau we always strive to learn more about how our users use our product. The more we know hopefully the better we can make your experience fun and delightful. This is a question that I'm very curious about.

Thank you,

Grace

• 7. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                      Grace Xu

Hi Rody,

This is just a topic that I'm curious about.

What criteria would you use to group worksheets into folders?

How do you organize your large number of sheets now?

Thank you,

Grace

• 8. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                        Rody Zakovich

Hey Grace,

Grace Xu wrote:

How do you organize your large number of sheets now?

Right now, when dealing with a large number of sheets, I hide all worksheets that are being used in Dashboards. Here's why

Let's say I have 40 Sheets spread across 8 Dashboards, + 5 Individual Sheets. If I left all 45 sheets (+ 8 Dashboards) visible, I would have to navigate 53 tabs just to find a specific sheet, or dashboard. By hiding all sheets used on dashboards, I am left with only 13 Tabs (One for each of my dashboards, plus my 5 Individual Sheets). So that makes finding a dashboard much easier. And since I can easily navigate between dashboards, I can easily find the specific worksheet I want to work on, and simply click "Go to Sheet". In that sense, the Dashboard is almost serving as my "Organizational File Structure".

Grace Xu wrote:

What criteria would you use to group the worksheets into folders?

I guess that really depends on the workbook and the type of data I am working with. Sometimes it may based on the dimensions used in the sheet, the type of questions they are answering, or some other reason. Every use case is different. I think having the freedom to create and organize folders/sub-folders would be better than setting up specific criteria or rules.

Regards,

Rody

• 9. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                          Nicole Edmonds

My "worst" workbook has about 80 sheets hidden for 20 tabs of dashboards.  I make a habit of always hiding sheets after creating a dashboard as I am working, as it makes it easier to find them when dealing with multi-dashboard large workbooks.  This is my outlier example however.  Most of my workbooks are a bit more "manageable".    (~10-15 sheets to 3-4 dashboards or so)

• 10. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                            Shawn Wallwork

Grace thanks for the response. Since we don't know exactly where you're headed with this question, I'd like to make a suggestion on the order of tabs in a workbook. When a worksheet gets added to a dashboard the tab (even if it is hidden) should be automatically moved to the right side of the dashboard tab. This would then keep all the worksheet together in a group right next to the dashboard, rather than having to scroll back and forth from one end of the list to the other. Right now I have to drag them all over into position, which can be tedious.

Thanks,

--Shawn

• 11. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                              Nicole Edmonds

When a worksheet gets added to a dashboard the tab (even if it is hidden) should be automatically moved to the right side of the dashboard tab. This would then keep all the worksheet together in a group right next to the dashboard, rather than having to scroll back and forth from one end of the list to the other. Right now I have to drag them all over into position, which can be tedious.

+1 to this, I hide the worksheets for this reason, but ideally I wouldn't have to always "go to sheet", it would just snap to the write of the applicable dashboard. 

• 12. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                                Monisha Yartha

On an Average , we have 30 hidden sheets with 6 dashboards minimum. We hide the sheets after creating dashboard for easy navigation.

Regards

Monisha

• 13. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                                  stephen.mccaskill

My most used has 13 dashboards and 51 hidden sheets.  Like may of the other posts mention, I hide worksheets after adding them to a dashboard for easier navigation.  I think it would be fantastic if the worksheet to automatically move into position next to the dashboard it has been added to, as mentioned above, dragging them into position is tedious.

• 14. Re: How many sheets and hidden sheets are in your most used workbooks?
                                    Cathy Bridges

In my most frequently used workbooks, I don't hide any worksheets. I have four similar workbooks, but I have to do quite a bit of customization (different end dates for calculations, changing the sort order for rolling periods). But reading this thread has given me a great idea... I'm going to hide all of them once, and then un-hide only the worksheets for which I'm manually changing criteria. I think that will help make these beasts (35 worksheets, 27 dashboards) more manageable, while also helping me troubleshoot the things that need better automation.

1 2 Previous Next