5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 10:48 PM by Atul Yadav

Tableau Server Extract

Apeksha A

Hello, I am having issues with my Tableau extracts and need some assistance. We are using version 9.0

All the extracts on the server worked fine until last week however recently it fails to run automatically and we need to run it manually.

Tried restarting the server and cleared a lot of space. I do not see any error message in the background tasks.

Is there any log files that I need to see that will give us information about the error

Any help is appreciated

Thanks much,

Apeksha

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Extract
          Andrew Carlson

Hi Apeksha,

The process responsible for updating/refreshing extracts is called the "Backgrounder", and has its own set of logs on the server that can probably help you out.

Further, whenever an extract fails on the server, it should cause an Alert in the upper menu bar of the server itself - clicking on the alert shows you the specific error (if available), along with the connection information that the server is trying to use to update the data. That's always the first place I look when an extract fails.

Of course, the regular list of culprits also applies:

-What is the data source that you're trying to extract from? Is it a Database? A Flat File?

-"Where" is it located? If it is a flat file, is it on the same machine as your server?

-How "Big" is the extract? How much data are you trying to pull back?

• 2. Re: Tableau Server Extract
            Toby Erkson

Did anyone alter the General Server Settings?

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Extract
              Apeksha A

Hi Toby,

Thanks for replying.The server settings has not been altered

• 4. Re: Tableau Server Extract
                Apeksha A

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for replying. Strange thing is that there are no alerts on the server. Let me check the log files mentioned

• 5. Re: Tableau Server Extract
                  Atul Yadav

Hi Apeksha,

You can check below mentioned logs for more details.

Log location is C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\log\\backgrounder

Note:-  according to you installation location, log location will change

backgrounder-#.log

spawn.####.log

tomcat-#.####-##-##.log

Thanks .

Atul Yadav