4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2019 4:45 PM by Karla Wagner

Best way to import and apply language translations of values? Aliases?

Tariq Khokhar

Using this as an example:

http://public.tableau.com/profile/tkb2743#!/vizhome/DoingBusiness2016/Startingabusinessisgettingeasieraroundtheworld

I'm trying to come up with an efficient way of producing versions of this dashboard translated into French, Spanish, Arabic and Chinese.

I plan to make separate workbooks for each language, and can manually drop in the story point captions and annotations but the largest chunk of translation is the country names:

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 3.29.21 PM.png

One option is to make copies of the source Excel file, apply the translations there and then make new workbooks based on those (unless you can "reconnect" a workbook to a different source file?) This seems messy.

What I was hoping was possible is to create a separate translation file with columns of country names in different languages, connect this as a data source to the workbook and then systematically apply these as aliases to the country variable. However, I only seem to be able to edit aliases on an individual basis and can't import them / connect them to a table. Am I missing something or is there a different way of achieving the same result?

Thanks!