5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 9:06 AM by Christine Dong

Reset Filters to Specific Values

Kristen Bonin

I have a dashboard that has a few filters. Ideally, I would like to have a reset button/icon/text that, when clicked, resets several filters to specific values. For example, if I have country, status and product, I would like to reset country to "US", status to "Active" and product to "All". I have figured out how to reset to "All" using actions, essentially clearing the selection, but I have not figured out how to reset to a specific value. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to do this? Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Reset Filters to Specific Values
          Robert Rouse

What I would suggest is to make a worksheet with the [Country] and [Status] fields on the detail shelf, filtered to "US" and "Active." You can easily set the label by making a parameter and dragging it onto the Label shelf. Then, you can use that worksheet as a button, passing the country and status values as an action filter. If you pass product as an action filter without [product] on the worksheet, it will reset other sheets to "All." The key to this is using the "Selected fields" option in your action filter instead of "All Fields."

Here's how I would set up the "reset button" worksheet:

reset.JPG

Robert Rouse

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reset Filters to Specific Values
            Kristen Bonin

When you pass the country and status values as an action filter, what are you listing as your values in the "Selected fields" section? I have [Country] in one data source and [Status] is in a secondary data source.

• 3. Re: Reset Filters to Specific Values
              Robert Rouse

Having a secondary data source makes the problem a little different. Can you post a .twbx to look at?

It's possible to use different data sources in action filters, but you would have to have the "reset" worksheet set up with both fields to make it work. The Reset sheet may even need its own separate data source in order to achieve the necessary cross-data source filtering. It really depends on how your data and dashboard is set up.

• 4. Re: Reset Filters to Specific Values
                Kristen Bonin

Decided to go a different route altogether and create two separate sheets for what I needed to visualize. Thank you for your help!

• 5. Re: Reset Filters to Specific Values
                  Christine Dong

Hi Robert,

Can you go into a bit more detail/upload a sample workbook of how you did this? Specifically, I'm wondering why the label has to be a parameter, and how to "use that worksheet as a button, passing the country and status values as an action filter."

Thanks!