12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2018 1:42 AM by Simon Runc

Community Appreciation - Simon Runc

Rody Zakovich

Hello Everyone!

In honor of TCC15, I wanted to start a series of Community Appreciation talks for the month of October.

Each day, I will be writing about individuals in our community who go above and beyond to help solve questions and share knowledge.

I believe there are several individuals who dedicate many hours (And sometimes brain cells) to help make our community be so great! And I just want to recognize them for there contributions.

Though I have several people in mind, I don't want this to be solely "MY" appreciation, but the community's. So please feel free to email people who you want to give a BIG Thank You to, OR (If you want to) volunteer to write up on somebody one day this month.

You can reach me anytime at RodyZakovich@gmail.com

Ok, now on to some recognition!

Today I want to recognize another one of our Tableau Forum Ambassadors, Mr.Simon Runc

Simon, along with Mark Fraser are what I like to call our Euro Bash Brother Ambassadors (Trademark pending). He is always active in the community, I mean always. No matter what time it is, Simon is willing to jump in and help out with any questions. He is a consistent pleasure to work with, and a great asset to our community. He always provides insightful descriptions and example workbooks, that help make things clear for all users. Also, Simon never leaves users out in the cold. I've started some interesting conversations over the past few months, but no matter how off the wall they might be, Simon always jumps in and provides great observations and opinions.

On top of all of the quality work Simon gives on the Forum side of things, he also provides a ton of valuable content in our Workbook and Calculation Libraries. His most recent workbook is beautiful both aesthetically and functionally

Sheet Swapping using Dashboard Actions (...or the Illusion of a Full Outer Join on Blended Data)

In addition, his company recently started a new blog, that already has some great content. You're gonna want to add this to your blog roll, I know I have!

The Data Animators | Bringing data to life

So Simon, I want to say THANK YOU! for all the amazing work you do to make our community great!

Best regards,

Rody Zakovich

• 1. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
          Toby Erkson

Yeay Simon!  Yes, he is another of our critical Euro-Bros to help get those Euro/Asian/African questions answered before they start to get moldy come sunrise over the Atlantic.  He also has been a great help squashing spam -- which actually has happened today, so thanks Mark and Simon

I agree, he seems to be a Tableau Insomniac but his ever-presence is such a help for people on the forums.  I don't spend much time in the Desktop area so I'm not heavily exposed to the many talented helpers there but I often see his name in the few threads I do see.  Great work, Simon and glad to have ya on our side

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
            Simon Runc

Thanks Rody for your kind words...definitely blushing over here in he UK   (and for plugging our new 'fledgling' blog!! ).

I'm sure I speak for many if the 'heavy' community users, when I say that I actually feel I get at least as much out (if not more) than I put in. There is no way I could have gone from Zero-to-Hero (...err well fairly competent! - but that doesn't rhyme!!) in under a year if it wasn't for all the great content (and support) on here.

I advise any Tableau trainee's to spend time on the community...this is what gets you that extra 20-30%...As well as the amazing posts and workbooks, just answering others questions [I've always found it difficult to set myself example questions...either you make them too easy (i.e you already know how to solve them!) or hard (you've no idea an give up!)] really improves your skills...as well as giving me many great ideas

here's an example from yesterday...classic community (great trick/work-around -> extended though conversation -> leading to a new way of combining histograms and scatter plots)

Grouping Bins on a Histogram

• 3. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
              pooja.gandhi

Wow Rody, great thoughts! Simon is another one of my favorites on the community, so much of a favorite that I am actually sad I don't get to meet him at the conference. Like I said before, I don't know anyone else on the community who is as innovative as he is with his solutions. He doesn't have one way of doing things, he has like a ton and they are all 'oh-so-innovative'. When I see a question/post on reference lines, I think Simon and this:

Educational Brain Teaser: Change the transparency of a reference band

Plus it is commendable to have done what he did by just being on the community for less than a year. That's a lot of good work for others to benefit from. The best thing I like about Simon is he never EVER lets the OP feel they asked a silly question, he always makes them feel at ease by saying 'we have all been there done that' kinda attitude. There are more than a dozen instances where I have seen someone call him out by tagging him just because he helped them get to the bottom of their 1st question on the community. He is extremely approachable, reliable and very genuine. I agree with you Rody, that he never leaves people just hanging.

Simon, if I ever come to UK, I am going to come and see you so you can give me some of your awesomeness

Thanks for all you do, Simon! I am glad I get the privilege to share the Ambassador title with you.

Pooja.

• 4. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                Alexander Mou

I also appreciate Simon's work very much!

• 5. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                  geeta.israni.0

Hi All,

With all the data monarchs commenting here I do not know if I can contribute as well but I definitely did not want to miss out on this opportunity to thank Simon Runc for all the help he has provided to me and to so many other tableau learners/enthusiasts on this forum.

I have been following his posts and comments and I must say that he is definitely an asset to this community. I notice in his posts that he connects so well with the other ambassadors here creating a comfortable working environment on this forum. Simon shows immense enthusiasm and willingness to take up any problem statement he is approached with. In fact, I often see him going back to old posts and asking users if they still need help with their questions. Likewise, he makes sure he concludes his solutions with the statement requesting users to post back if his answer was not what they were looking for; thereby increasing trust and respect for himself

Like Rody Zakovich rightly mentioned, Simon is always available to guide no matter what time it is. Also, as Pooja Gandhi asserted, he never lets you feel awkward if you happen to post a silly question. I say so because I have approached him with some such questions and he has been very humble and extremely patient with me till we get to exactly what I was looking for. Simon indeed helps users get to their true north with brilliant solutions, maintaining a great level of professional maturity. Also, his explanations are so detailed leaving users with no ambiguity with regards to interpreting the solution.

Thank you Simon! Please keep up the great work!

Best Regards,

Geeta

• 6. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                    Shawn Wallwork

Whenever I'm zipping through the forums, giving some typical knee-**** responses like 'Got a sample packaged workbook?' I run into stuff where I think: 'Well that can't be done in Tableau.' Luckily before posting this response, I hesitate, and remember Simon seems to be able to come up with some incredibly astounding/creative solutions to almost any request!

Simon, most of the stuff you come up with is genius, truly! I nominate you for next year's corp of Zen Masters, you deserve the recognition.

--Shawn

• 7. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                      Simon Runc

Thanks Shawn. Those kind comments, from someone of your experience and standing, mean a great deal...much appreciated (...and thank you for your encouragement and help)

• 8. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                        Guy Cuthbert

He's also a thoroughly nice guy, and a pleasure to work with - great to see the responses here

• 9. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                          isa.serah

Simon Runc is definitely the best helper I have ever come across in this community. He deserves applause. Thank You Simon. You have no idea how much you have helped us in our tableau journey.

• 10. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                            Simon Runc

Thanks Isa...you're too kind

It's been a pleasure, and I've learned quite a few things myself helping out with your questions, in particular...always pushing what is possible.

• 11. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                              naresh.suglani.0

I'd like to add another "big-up" to Simon for helping me with a question recently. I know it's difficult to find time during the work day to do some essential R&D in Tableau and I'd love to spend all day going through the useful posts on here and learning new ways of doing things.

Time is precious though so it's great that there are so many helpful members on here who have posted some great stuff to help us all.

Keep up the good work guys and gals.

• 12. Re: Community Appreciation - Simon Runc
                                Simon Runc

Thanks Naresh...I've got admit I did really enjoy your interesting problem!

The balance between R&D time and "work" is a tricky one, but there have been so many occasions where I've solved a question on the community for the same problem (or very similar) come up at work a few weeks later...where I already have the solution. I've demonstrated to my work many times that a few hours of R&D is got back 10 times over (in both the speed and quality of my work)...as well as finding completely new approaches. I'd certainly advocate that there is a true business case for time on the community. You will come across a far greater diversity of questions and approaches, by being exposed to other people's problems (and seeing the different approaches the helpers take, or by helping yourself), than you would ever come across is your day-to-day job...which really accelerates your learning and experience.