4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 9:13 AM by Simon Runc

Community Appreciation - Mark Fraser

Rody Zakovich

Hello Everyone!

In honor of TCC15, I wanted to start a series of Community Appreciation talks for the month of October.

Each day, I will be writing about individuals in our community who go above and beyond to help solve questions and share knowledge.

I believe there are several individuals who dedicate many hours (And sometimes brain cells) to help make our community be so great! And I just want to recognize them for there contributions.

Though I have several people in mind, I don't want this to be solely "MY" appreciation, but the community's. So please feel free to email people who you want to give a BIG Thank You to, OR (If you want to) volunteer to write up on somebody one day this month.

You can reach me anytime at RodyZakovich@gmail.com

Ok, now on to some recognition!

Today I want to recognize an individual who has contributed a great deal to our community, Mr. Mark Fraser

Mark is one of our Tableau Forum Ambassadors, and, as of this month, our 12 Month Leader!

10-7-2015 7-50-16 AM.png

Not only has Mark risen to the top (Which is incredible), but he has done so it less than a year of being a member! That is just remarkable. Mark has provided numerous quality answers and responses to dozens of individuals, and has done so with the up most of class. His kindness and patience, is truly remarkable. No matter how difficult the task, he is always willing to step through fire to help members get to the solution they need (No matter how long it might take).

In addition to all of the great responses Mark provides, he has also contributed great work to the Workbook Reference Library. One of my personal favorites is his Time Period Workbook, that provides various datetime calculations. This workbook is a great reference for anyone looking to do date comparisons.

Time periods in Tableau

So from all of us here in the community, I say THANK YOU Mark for helping to make our community, the best community in the world!

Best regards,

Rody Zakovich

• 1. Re: Community Appreciation - Mark Fraser
          pooja.gandhi

I agree with you Rody! Mark is one of my favorite people on the community. I love his snapshots in the responses. You can't miss what he is trying to explain just because it is so on point. To me it seems like time difference is no barrier when it comes to him helping out on the community. From being an incredible Ambassador to a very genuine person he goes out and beyond to help and makes sure the OP gets the answers.

I had no idea that Mark has been a member of the community for less than a year until Tracy mentioned it in the weekly digest this week. Now that's a job well done, Ambassador Mark!

Thank you for teaching us so much. Look forward to continue seeing you active on the community.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Community Appreciation - Mark Fraser
            Mark Fraser

Hi Rody

This is something you have done purely on your own initiative and that is you... You have brought fresh insight to the forum which has lead to some very interesting discussions and helps to keep us all on our toes - for that you deserve a big thank you!! As Toby alluded to - just don't spread yourself too thin and burn-out - we want you here for the long term

It has never been my intention to be anywhere near the leader board, it has come about as a consequence of being here often, being helpful and every so often being correct...

I'm the first to admit that I don't have the breadth and depth of knowledge of others (as mentioned I have only used Tableau for about 10-11 months) I have done all my learning on the forum, through helping others as well as trial and error.

What I lack in knowledge I try and make up for by being friendly and willing to take a chance by getting involved.

I want to thank everyone involved in the community for making it a place that I and others want to spend our time helping others and learning, together.

Cheers

Mark

• 3. Re: Community Appreciation - Mark Fraser
              Toby Erkson

Mark has been instrumental in helping the forums on the European/Asia side of things, giving assistance to those in a more timely manner so they don't have to wait for the Western hemisphere to wake up and answer their questions.

He has done a fantastic job at helping keep the spam attacks minimized; without his help the forums would've been useless during those attacks.

I agree with Poojie, he's willing to help out in areas he's not [yet ] an expert in and with presenting screen-shots, YES!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses them to help guide those of us who are visually dominant!  Nice work, Mark

• 4. Re: Community Appreciation - Mark Fraser
                Simon Runc

Nice one Rody! Couldn't agree more with all the comments made. Mark is an absolute legend...he's my Ambassador 'Partner-in Crime' this side of the pond...as we pick off all the easy 'how do I wrap the header text' questions while America sleeps, and watch those points roll-in...errr I mean 'supporting the Asian/European Tableau community...while America Sleeps'!!

Joking aside! The work Mark has put in (evidenced by his well deserved No 1 spot) is truly amazing. His answers are always so detailed (and with the images is almost like watching a 'how to' video!), and he always shows great patience, understanding and humor. It should also be noted that his 'rise to the top' has been during the 'spam-gate' months where much of his answering has been done with 'Outside Western Pacific Office Hours' restrictions (no attachments, one post every N mins'). A big THANK YOU from me!